ZooChat
ZooChat members don't see this advert. Join Now - it's free!
Go Back   ZooChat > North America > United States > Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden

Notices

News From the Cincinnati Zoo 2011 #1 » Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden

More from Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden: [discussion][gallery][maps]
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 37
Photos: 13
  #196
Old 05-07-2011

Really, I never noticed the duiker on the website before. Sometimes I wonder how well-kept the list is. They don't list sugar gliders, still have feathertail gliders listed, there is no mention fo the emu, etc. It's kind of hard to know the true inventory of animals when it appears to be so many discrepencies.
Moebelle's Avatar
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 3,358
Photos: 4,622
  #197
Old 05-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatters28 View Post
Really, I never noticed the duiker on the website before. Sometimes I wonder how well-kept the list is. They don't list sugar gliders, still have feathertail gliders listed, there is no mention fo the emu, etc. It's kind of hard to know the true inventory of animals when it appears to be so many discrepencies.
oh ya never noticed that before

can someone please try to answer my question, where is the genet?
Kudu21's Avatar
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,343
Photos: 446
  #198
Old 05-07-2011

The zoo's lions were donated to the zoo by Siegfried and Roy and are 'white' lions. That is why the lion exhibit is/was (I'm not sure if it still is) called "Siegfried and Roy's White Lions of Timbavati". The zoo currently holds a pair of brothers and a mother and daughter pair. The two pairs of lions rotate to prevent breeding, since white lions, like white tigers, are horribly inbred. I'm glad that the zoo is now listing them as African Lions instead of 'White' Lions, as this better promotes wild lions and wild lion conservation, and not the poor inbred 'show' animals.

The Large-spotted Genet is not currently on exhibit. Seeing how it has remained on the website, I suspect that it will be going back on exhibit sometime. Perhaps it will go on exhibit in the previous galago exhibit in Jungle Trails?

@dpatters28- I have to agree, though most zoos do not list all of the species they hold on their websites. Often times there are just too many species and the zoos just choose to list a few animals from each area of the zoo, a few animals of each group, or a few animals that are more endangered or are more of a drawcard species. Just look at the Columbus Zoo's website, they list very few of their total number of species.
Moebelle's Avatar
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 3,358
Photos: 4,622
  #199
Old 05-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudu21 View Post
The zoo's lions were donated to the zoo by Siegfried and Roy and are 'white' lions. That is why the lion exhibit is/was (I'm not sure if it still is) called "Siegfried and Roy's White Lions of Timbavati". The zoo currently holds a pair of brothers and a mother and daughter pair. The two pairs of lions rotate to prevent breeding, since white lions, like white tigers, are horribly inbred. I'm glad that the zoo is now listing them as African Lions instead of 'White' Lions, as this better promotes wild lions and wild lion conservation.

The Large-spotted Genet is not currently on exhibit. Seeing how it has remained on the website, I suspect that it will be going back on exhibit sometime. Perhaps it will go on exhibit in the previous galago exhibit in Jungle Trails?
Ya maybe, but they are still in Jungle Trails, i think they need to get rid of the Grey Bamboo Lemur, you can rarely see them and they just seem like they arent enertaining at all.
Kudu21's Avatar
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,343
Photos: 446
  #200
Old 05-07-2011

All of the galagos haven't moved over to Night Hunters? Perhaps they will in the future and the genets will move into their exhibit then. Jungle Trails is really the only place I can see the genet being exhibited in. Unless the genet will not be exhibited and will become a part of the education program.

I have to disagree with you when it comes to the bamboo lemurs. Animals are not kept in captivity solely for entertainment; animals are also kept for conservation and education. The bamboo lemurs are a big part of both conservation and education efforts at the Cincinnati Zoo. The Cincinnati Zoo is one of only four ISIS listed institutions in the world to hold this vulnerable species. Not only that, but the zoo is able to educate visitors about the lesser known ecosystems and species of Madagascar by exhibiting this species. It shows the visitors a different Madagascar and its inhabitants that they did not see in the movies or from the more common Ring-tail and Black-and-White Ruffed Lemurs elsewhere in the zoo. Many people have no idea that there are lemurs that eat eat bamboo or that there are even bamboo forests in Madagascar. Not to mention that when they are active, it is almost magical to see them as they quickly leap from stalk to stalk in the dark.

Now, that's just my two-cents on the subject.
Moebelle's Avatar
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 3,358
Photos: 4,622
  #201
Old 05-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudu21 View Post
All of the galagos haven't moved over to Night Hunters? Perhaps they will in the future and the genets will move into their exhibit then. Jungle Trails is really the only place I can see the genet being exhibited in. Unless the genet will not be exhibited and will become a part of the education program.

I have to disagree with you when it comes to the bamboo lemurs. Animals are not kept in captivity solely for entertainment; animals are also kept for conservation and education. The bamboo lemurs are a big part of both conservation and education efforts at the Cincinnati Zoo. The Cincinnati Zoo is one of only four ISIS listed institutions in the world to hold this vulnerable species. Not only that, but the zoo is able to educate visitors about the lesser known ecosystems and species of Madagascar by exhibiting this species. It shows the visitors a different Madagascar and its inhabitants that they did not see in the movies or from the more common Ring-tail and Black-and-White Ruffed Lemurs elsewhere in the zoo. Many people have no idea that there are lemurs that eat eat bamboo or that there are even bamboo forests in Madagascar. Not to mention that when they are active, it is almost magical to see them as they quickly leap from stalk to stalk in the dark.

Now, that's just my two-cents on the subject.
no not all the galagos have moved im surprised they took the potto out because they have 7 of them.

im not saying the animals should be used for only entertainment
Kudu21's Avatar
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,343
Photos: 446
  #202
Old 05-07-2011

It is interesting that they moved the pottos from Jungle Trails. At one point there were at least three Potto exhibits spread out across the zoo (two in Jungle Trails and one in the Nocturnal House), but now there is just a single exhibit in Night Hunters.

I figured you didn't mean it the way it sounded. I was just trying to provide a point as to why I disagreed with you, as well to provide insight on why the Grey Bamboo Lemurs are such valuable animals in the zoo's collection
Moebelle's Avatar
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 3,358
Photos: 4,622
  #203
Old 05-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudu21 View Post
It is interesting that they moved the pottos from Jungle Trails. At one point there were at least three Potto exhibits spread out across the zoo (two in Jungle Trails and one in the Nocturnal House), but now there is just a single exhibit in Night Hunters.

I figured you didn't mean it the way it sounded. I was just trying to provide a point as to why I disagreed with you, as well to provide insight on why the Grey Bamboo Lemurs are such valuable animals in the zoo's collection
two potto exhibits in jungle trails?
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 37
Photos: 13
  #204
Old 05-07-2011

Wow, I had no idea there were two potto exhibits at Jungle Trails. Based on what I've seen on YouTube videos and the zoo's Facebook page, it appears they are starting to use pottos as ambassadors, much like the aardvark, wallabies and baby alligators. Though, it's odd. Last year everytime I went to the zoo there were animals being walked around the zoo. This year... well... I saw some kids petting a hissing cockroach and that's about it.
Kudu21's Avatar
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,343
Photos: 446
  #205
Old 05-07-2011

There used to be at least two potto exhibits in Jungle Trails. First, there was the exhibit that they lived in up until Night Hunters (Now holding African Striped Weasels), and then there was an exhibit further on in the African building that has since held reptiles (In order of appearance: Radiated Tortoise, Black-throated Monitor, Dumeril's Boa)

@dpatters28- I've also noticed that. So far this year I've only seen docents out with an Eastern Screech Owl and a Blue-tongued Skink. However, there was a docent booth out by the Indian Rhinoceros yards (The two used by Nikki) with an Ocelot pelt, Sumatran Rhinoceros hair, several other pelts and skulls, as well as some "Rhino Trading Cards". I thought it was kind of neat that the zoo had made up their own trading cards with information on each of their rhinos.
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 37
Photos: 13
  #206
Old 06-07-2011

True, but I don't care for looking at hairs, pelts and skulls. I want to interact with the real, living, breathing animal. I know you can't go around petting tigers or polar bears, but I enjoyed my zoo experience so much more when I was able to interact with the animals rather than just looking at them.
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 460
  #207
Old 06-07-2011

Cincinnati is becoming very well represented on this site. To me, this is a positive thing.
Kudu21's Avatar
Member
Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,343
Photos: 446
  #208
Old 06-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatters28 View Post
True, but I don't care for looking at hairs, pelts and skulls. I want to interact with the real, living, breathing animal. I know you can't go around petting tigers or polar bears, but I enjoyed my zoo experience so much more when I was able to interact with the animals rather than just looking at them.
I know what you mean, and I have to agree. I really enjoy walking around the grounds and talking with the friendly and informative docents and their animals (Well... mostly informative, as one docent was quite off with the okapi information she gave me! ).The Cincinnati Zoo has such a nice docent program, so it's a shame that it isn't out in a strong force this year like it has been in the past. I only said that about the pelts and skulls to show how little docent activity I've seen this year.

@groundskeeper24- I agree. It's nice that the zoo is becoming so well represented here
 


Bookmarks
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Copyright © Hampel Group Pty Ltd
(ACN 115 622 074)

Web Hosting Australia by Quadra Hosting