Join our zoo community

Zoo gorillas to be given TVs

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Simon Hampel, 17 Feb 2004.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_866591.html

2. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Gorillas in their Midst

This article is a classic !
    How profound !
    I guess that if the Moscow zookeepers want to make the Gorillas more "cultured " I guess that they would take them to see the Russian Ballet ? ;)

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A number of zoos have provided Gorillas with Television in order to relieve(presumed) boredom etc. I'm not sure Gorillas actually suffer from 'boredom' anyway, though that's how we often interpret how they look. And no one has ever proved whether they can even recognise the action on the TV screen as any more than flickering images... Big waste of time in my opinion apart from as a rather tired publicity stunt.

4. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

really? you sure bout that grant? since humans, chimps and orangutans (see link at bottom of page) can all recognise visuals displayed on a monitor i find it highly unlikely that gorillas can't..

i also find it interesting that your not sure gorillas percieve boredom.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world...-for-great-apes/2007/04/12/1175971259489.html

5. Pertinax

No, I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone knows to what extent, if any, gorillas, chimps etc understand or interpret what they might see on a TV screen. I know they understand mirrors as a reflection of themselves though, so maybe they do understand what they see.

Re boredom. The restful, relaxed face of most apes mirrors the 'boredom face' in humans because they have less muscles in their faces. I can't speak for Gorillas, but I have seen Chimpanzees in the wild, sitting on a jungle path wearing exactly the same 'bored' expression as visitors comment on with zoo chimps 'oh, the poor thing's so bored.....' Yet these were wild chmps totally in tune with their enviroment.

I believe that unnatural behaviours in captivity such as hair plucking, eating faeces, regurgitating(which may not be unnatural anyway) are caused by stress, unsuitable conditions,or cagemates, or inadequate diet- but not necessarily by the state of boredom-i.e. not being stimulated/wanting something 'to do'

6. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i've read of tests on facial recognition where chimps matched faces of other chimps and people with their mothers and other relatives. thus proving chimps have better facial recognition than us humans! i'm pretty sure this experiment was undertaken on monitors. thus i am fairly certain humans are not alone as the only great apes that can see television.

7. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

some people sure speak alot of feaces about others

8. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

eh ??

some people sure speak alot of feaces about others

quote from Zooboy .

Do you mean faces , rather than feces ? There is a difference ;)

9. Zoo_Boy

yea i mean s hit lol

10. orang09

orang09 Well-Known Member

well here in england at longleat safarie park the gorrilas wacth tv in their off show home - they wacth nature progmames and colourfull cartoons , i also wacthed a progamme where in auckland zoo the orangutan was given a tape of orangutans hand rearing their offspring - this worked with the result of the mother looking after the off- spring - this means that t.v to apes works like it is with us

11. taun

taun Well-Known Member

In Giant panda breeding centres in china, they have given male pandas video of panda's mating to get them stimulated and it seems to work.

12. Zoo_Boy

lol 'PANDA *****"

13. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

my earlier post refers

I can accept that gorillas , orangs etc can probably understand a TV show that is about wildlife thart is relavent to them , but the thought of watching a Russian soap opera or something else ........

14. darlingsapphire

darlingsapphire Member

Mental Stimulus.

If a zoo wants well-being for their animals both mentally and physically, then give them
    things they'd have to figure out to get some food treats. All kinds of puzzles in their
    indoor and outdoor enclosures - didn't you know that t.v. thinks for simians and humans;
    but if the programs are nature inclined that's o.k.

15. Pertinax

I don't- I'm not sure they even know what the images on a TV screen are but we can't really know , can we? Also, if they do recognise such images the only programmes they would presumably 'understand' would be those about their own habitats- for Gorillas 'african rainforest' and for Orangutans 'Borneo/Sumatran jungle'- nothing else.

I've always thought it is a total waste of time. Where there are TV's for the Gorillas I've never seen a Gorilla looking at one(ever)

16. darlingsapphire

darlingsapphire Member

Zoos are a profit making business, never mind what they say about conservation, and
    breeding the animals to keep their species alive, and for education. Oh my God how
    stupid. The best way to keep the animals species is to keep their natural habitat safe.
    Zoos should turn into sanctuaries to warrant their preachings. I often wonder about a
    lot of the zoo employees if they are all right in the mind because of some terrible things
    I have seen.People don't be intimidated by zoos - speak your mind for the animals and
    never mind AZA or CZA- it's just an invented organization that really cares little about
    captive animals. Remember the young gorilla, for one example, who picked up a young
    human boy who fell into the Brookfield Zoo and carried him to a keeper to care for. What
    did AZA or the zoo do to better the gorilla/s lives their- nothing - they are still on
    simulated rock and gawked and laughed at by rude noisy people. How many captive
    animals have tried and did escape to attack not the visitors around but the particular
    human who did harm to the animal, either by unjustified punishment or teasing. I say zoos should turn into sanctuaries. I believe visitors will be a lot more happier to visit
    happy content animals.

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

what are you calling a sanctuary? And how is it different from a zoo? I'm always confused by statements made by the anti-zoo brigade to the effect that "zoos should close down and the animals should go to sanctuaries"

18. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sanctuaries are "profit making businesses too".

Why are they holier than zoos?

19. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Even the ones about bushmeat?

20. darlingsapphire

darlingsapphire Member

Sanctuaries I would hope are for the animals not just for people. Sanctuaries should be
    as the name stipulates are places where peace and well-being can be had, and this
    animals do not get at zoos, simply because humans make noise, facial scares and
    intimidation, degradation, and deprivation on the animals. Plus sanctuaries are supposed
    to resemble at least 80 percent of their natural habitats - not simulated structures that
    are hard on their fingers, feet, and bodies Plus the exspence is much less and the
    animals don't have to be talked about like they are merchandise to be sold or traded or
    ridiculed -they will be able to live a half decent or better life. Imagine how beautiful the
    world would be if human population were at a minimum and could appreciate and respect
    all of the clean, wonderful things The Good Creator gives to mankind to enjoy - not to
    abuse or kill. I consume mostly vegetables, grains, seeds, fruits, nuts, etc., but very
    little meat (no pork, lamb or mutten) just two eggs a week, and fish. I do care for some
    animals and since doing so, I have not been sick for eighteen years - not even a sniffle.
    Maybe it's because I am concerned about the animals and not myself. I do pay and ask
    to keep my strength to keep caring for them, that's all. I live a very simple life,which I
    love.