Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo Adelaide Zoo News 2024

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 16 Jan 2024.

Tags:
  1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dusky langur update:

Adelaide Zoo now only has three Dusky langurs (Nanti, Nakal and Tevy).

Given the 15-20 year lifespan of this species and the fact there’s no other holders in the region, it’s reasonable to assume Jingga (2006) has passed on.

1.0 Nanti (21/07/2008)
    0.1 Nakal (23/01/2011)
    0.1 Tevy (05/08/2012)

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would wish - when no interest - that the primates be relocated to Singapore Zoo or Kuala Lumpur or another Malaysian Zoo Association zoo like Taiping or Melaka!

3. Zoofan15

These particular individuals are getting on in years and are a close-knit group of siblings, so it’s in their best interests to let them live out their remaining years at Adelaide Zoo imo.

Dusky langur are a Non Threatened species and it’s clear they’ve been designated for phase out. It’d be nice to see other zoos support the Francois langur breeding programme (EEP) by acquiring them. They’re a little unstable regionally at this point in time, but an Endangered species nonetheless. I’d much rather see a troop of Francois langur at any zoo than squirrel monkeys.

4. Kifaru Bwana

I have to disagree wholly with that assessment. Dusky langurs figure high in species found in the illegal wildlife trade as well as deforestation, bush meat, agriculture and tourism pressures.

What you are talking about is an assessment done 15 years ago in 2008. Newer perspectieven have classified the species as ENDANGERED. Hence, any captive assurance populations in zoos and rescue facilities are increasingly very important for their overall survival and support for in situ action.

Sadly, the captive community is seriously lacking in both African and Asian colobine primates. The almost cynical phase out policy in various "High Standard" zoo associations as deemed non-attractive (how the hell this notion actually has come into the heads of PR and zoo communication sections and management is beyond me and certainly totally unjustified).

5. Zoofan15

Thank you for that information. I wasn’t aware the species had been upgraded to Endangered.

My preference would have been to see Dusky and Francois langurs sustained in the region, but it’s clear the former are on the way out. Whether it’s worth exporting them overseas is debatable. Given their age, I’d argue they’d be of little value breeding wise and it’s in their best interests to remain in their familiar surroundings.

6. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe the male langur at least is sterilised.

That Aussie Guy, Osedax and Zoofan15 like this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

He could have potentially bred elsewhere ... till late in life.

Another no-brainer! We really need a re-think in ex situ conservation breeding with endangered species and roles and taskings of different zoo associations in endangered species conservation. Phase out is a basic failure to adopt effective ex situ husbandry and management and flies in the face of the One Plan and One Healthy Planet approaches promulgated and promoted by WAZA and all its regional affiliates.

Damn/Hell I am a wildlife conservationist at heart very well aware of the benefits of connecting both zoo and wildlife Biology and management to make it the Force to be reckoned with in decision making, vision and future and long term policy making. Those 2 are essential components to bring together communities for effective species, habitat and ecosystem conservation.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2024
  8. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some primate news from my visit today:

Sumatran orangutan, Puspa is back on exhibit, using the main part of the enclosure. The aerial pathway that connects to the other side of the orangutan house is not yet accessible but is expected to be completed soon. I’ll pop some pictures from the new viewing platform in the gallery later!

And in very exciting news, another colobus infant has been born in the past week! I’m not sure who the mother is, but I’m guessing Adale is the most likely. I’m looking forward to the announcement to learn more.

9. Zoofan15

That’s fantastic news! This is the third colobus birth at Adelaide in just over a year. Their website no longer mentions Charlie (born 2002); only Jasiri, the mother and daughter trio imported in 2020 and their offspring. If Charlie is deceased (or has transferred out), that suggests Adale is the mother of the latest infant given the other reproductive age female (Zamba) only gave birth four months prior to the latest birth.

Adelaide Zoo’s colobus:

0.1 Amanda (1994) Imported 2020
    0.1 Charlie (2002) May be deceased?
    0.1 Zamba (2004) Imported 2020
    1.0 Jasiri (2008) Monarto Safari Park
    0.1 Adale (2010) Imported 2020
    0.1 Jamila (30/01/2023) Jasiri x Adale
    0.0.1 Unnamed (27/11/2023) Jasiri x Zamba
    0.0.1 Unnamed (00/00/2024) Jasiri x Adale?

The other possibility for Charlie is she’s been transferred to Melbourne Zoo, who are now down to one female. Kipenzi has been taken off display, which I suspect is in anticipation of a transfer to Adelaide; but could be for introductions to Charlie at Melbourne.

10. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maned Wolves - Adelaide are down to a single female Maned Wolf, 'Ninka' - who was Altina born in 2012.

11. Zoofan15

It doesn’t look like Maned wolf will be at Adelaide for much longer. Ninka is approaching the upper end of her life expectancy and they don’t feature in the masterplan, indicating they’re yet another phase out. There’s no mention of them in Monarto’s plans either.

12. Kifaru Bwana

What does feature in the Masterplan? Any copy or outline available?

13. That Aussie Guy

That Aussie Guy Well-Known Member

14. Jambo

15. Zoofan15

Key changes in the update to the masterplan include the removal of the two Sri Lankan leopard exhibits (in favour of an additional Sumatran tiger exhibit); and a generalised savannah exhibit, which replaces the original plans for a gorilla complex.

Curiously, tapir remain in the plans, indicating some level of interest in acquiring Brazilian tapir in the future.

16. That Aussie Guy

That Aussie Guy Well-Known Member

I don't know how I feel about the omission of the Sri Lankan Leopard and the addition of the generic savannah habitat - very disappointing to see it replace gorillas

17. Jambo

Potentially, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they're simply just accounting for Arturo (who's only sixteen) and could easily reach another decade at the very least.

18. Jambo

The omission of the Sri Lankan Leopards can be drawn up to Adelaide needing to hold at least some of the Tiger cubs they had long-term. Obviously they've acknowledged they'd need another enclosure as a complacency as the cubs may all not be in with mum into adulthood; and this came at the expense of the Sri Lankan Leopard exhibit.

On the other hand, the generic savannah exhibit baffles me. Kimya will be nineteen this year. She's at the upper end of her years and Adelaide could've easily waited her out. It's disappointing to see an entire species scrapped as a result of a giraffe refusing to crate train. The gorilla enclosures would still be at least another five years away anyway.

19. Zoofan15

I’m really disappointed to be losing a potential gorilla holder from within the region, especially given there’s no concrete plans to display them at Monarto. I’ve said all along that as a city zoo with an open range sister zoo within 45 minutes, Adelaide should be complimenting Monarto (not duplicating it in a smaller form).

If the Giant panda leave (unconfirmed at this stage), gorillas would have taken over as the headlining exhibit.

20. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for posting this - I just read through the whole thing and it looks really interesting.

The South American Jungle Journey could be quite an interesting feature.

I noticed that the dusky langurs and Malayan tapir exhibit is still on the map - but surely that's not going to last that long considering all of the inhabitants are getting older. How long have they got left?

On Page 6 they mention that they've held giraffe continuously for over 90 years - so I don't mind keeping that history intact. I still think there is a place for a bit of sentiment and nostalgia with these things - as long as the enclosure is a good one. Nyala, ostrich and giraffe look good together (Wellington for example has this mix), and I actually quite like the idea of the pygmy hippo next door - it's quirky but it could work. If they get the colobus into that same area it would be a nice unique mix - a bit of savannah and a bit of forest together.

Besides, the alternative would have to be to walk Kimya all the way to Murray Bridge! She could say hello to Alby Mangels on the way... hehehe

If things turn on their head down the track for some reason would that space (only the giraffe area) be big enough to turn into a gorilla exhibit? Judging by the map it looks big enough.

Anyway, a nice read in any case.