Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Elephant Birth

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SMR, 23 Jan 2011.

1. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

2. trixie

trixie Well-Known Member

Fair comment,i quite agree with you.It's too soon.:)

3. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I do agree that it may be confusing for the elephants (and even upsetting for the keepers maybe) - I think it may be the whole 'humanising' thing, where human children are named after deceased relatives or carers (baby Jack in Coronation Street being the best example of how it would be similar) and I thought it a nice idea to keep her memory going.

I just think that, as one of Chester's oldest residents, she deserves some sort of tribute - even if only a sign about her life or something.

4. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

A tribute would be far preferable to naming another elephant after her. For example, the sculptures by Annette Yarrow are incredibly popular, so something along those lines would be appropriate.

5. trixie

trixie Well-Known Member

It's early days yet.i'm sure they will be planning something for her.

6. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Let's agree on that :). I do see the negative points to naming after another and I see now that naming her Sheba would not have been brilliant. I still don't like Jamilah though - would they not be wanting Hindi names which seems to be the tradition in naming Asian eles?

'Beautiful' in Hindi would be Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Kanta for a female. Ironically, the male name meaning beautiful in Hindi is Sundara Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Sundara :rolleyes:

(Behind the name is showing Jamilah [at least a slightly different spelling of it] meaning 'beautiful' in Arabic). Ah well, what can you do :D

Edit: I hope so Trixie, it doesn't have to be big or expensive, like I say just a plaque or something :)

7. CritterBlog

CritterBlog Well-Known Member

Last edited: 25 Feb 2011
  8. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

I think Jamilah is an excellent name for Thi's new daughter, I hope she will indeed have a good quality of life at Chester, just like the grand old lady Sheba had, best wishes to them all,

9. AgileGibbon

AgileGibbon Well-Known Member

The next few visits will be amusing; full of parents and kids either wondering what the name is, or pronouncing it in 15 different ways

10. Cheetah fan

Cheetah fan Well-Known Member

I would like to say I am also happy they decided not to call the baby Sheba. Sheba was a wonderful elephant loved by all for who she was. Calling the baby that would of heaped expectation onto her and it wouldn't have been right. I kind of knew from a conversation I had that the zoo were never likely to decide to call the little one Sheba but there was always an outside chance. I think when the zoo remodel the entrance the perfect place for a tribute to Sheba will be created in the viewing area for everyone(even the none paying visitors to the cafe). Till then I dont know how the zoo will remember Sheba but everyone remembers her anyway.