Join our zoo community

How do you pronounce Fossa?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Moebelle, 8 Mar 2012.

?

Fossa?

1. Fossa (FAH-sah)

34.1%
  2. Foosa

43.2%
  3. Foosh

9.1%
  4. Fosa

13.6%
  1. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I love its scientific name. One of the best ever.

2. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Yes, Mr T makes a very good point. And anyway, aren't all words borrowed from the very first languages? God, languages can be so confusing! :mad: Some say we should say it as the way it was originally meant to be said, in this case, "foosh", but, as Mr T says, the word has been borrowed and then changed, as to fit our language...

I wonder why I even want to go so in depth with pronunciation... :rolleyes:

Maybe if one wanted to create an authentic Madagascar zoo experience, then they would use "foosh" because that is the way Malagasy people pronounce it and you want your exhibit to be as realistic as possible. But what the heck, when I'm talking to somebody about it, I'll just use foo-sah! (Or maybe I'll use Ituri's Cryptoprocta ferox :D)

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Foosah as it is the local Malagasy name for the species. So, people better use it than come up with some handicapped transliteration. :D

4. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I used to say "fah-sah" all the time as we have a word in Danish, "fosse", that sounds quite like that. Then I watched the animation movie Madagascar where they said "foo-sa", and I found out soon that was the correct pronounciation. However, "fah-sah" is still sticking a bit, and I say that by accident at times.

5. Pacu

Pacu Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For years before the Madagascar film it has been pronounced 'fossa', as in 'dosser', or 'Prosser' in the UK but there have been national differences.

6. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought that the spelling of it's name has now been changed to Fosa to avoid confusion with Fossa fossana - the Fanaloka????

7. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I just had 'a google' of Fossa and Fosa and both seem in use. If they where going to change it to something else they could have at least put it to Foosa to save the confusion of mispronunciation.

It appears some folk here choose to pronounce it the way it is pronounced in Madagascar and others (like me) choose to pronounce it how they read it according to pronunciation rules of the English language. On the flip of this I will admit I pronounce Przewalski as ‘Sheh-val-ski’. The English language is notorious for contradicting itself on ‘rules’ for spelling and pronunciations of words, so in many cases maybe there are numerous acceptable pronunciations.

8. Piko

Piko Well-Known Member 10+ year member

i say fossa (in italian)

9. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In german we say Fossa like: Foe Za

10. Viper

Viper Well-Known Member

At Micke Grove Zoo, we say "Fossa" and "Foosa" interchangebly depending on the person.

PS: Can anyone help me out on the pronouciation of Duiker? That is high on my list when it comes to difficult animal pronounciations. :)

11. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Most common pronunciation is die-ker (rhymes with biker), although the correct Afrikaans pronunciation is closer to day-ker. The Dutch/Afrikaans "ui" diphthong is not really pronounceable using English.

12. Kittie_Kat

Kittie_Kat New Member

when i was in madagascar, it was always 'fo-sah'. Maybe its a regional thing though, because i was in the north and i know malagasy is really different in different places?

13. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

'Fos-sa' for Russian. Normal 'o' and double 's', like in English word 'fossil'.