Join our zoo community

How many zoos/aquariums have you visited?

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Arizona Docent, 9 Jun 2012.

?

How many zoos/aquariums have you visited?

Poll closed 25 Oct 2021.
  1. 1-9

26 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. 10-24

57 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. 25-49

39 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. 50-74

29 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. 75-99

13 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. 100 or more

35 vote(s)
    17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I copied and pasted this information from a recent press release about Steve Taylor's upcoming retirement, and I wonder if either of these directors check out ZooChat as I've heard stories about several directors who have perused this site from time to time. Some have to be ZooChatters!

Huge zoo fans:

Steve Taylor, director of Cleveland Zoo, and Mark Reed, director of Sedgwick County Zoo, have a running competition to see who can visit the most zoos that belong to the prestigious Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). The winner is the one who retires with the most. "There are 224 AZA accredited zoos and I have 212," Taylor said. He believes Reed has around 200, "but he has plans." And Taylor still has six months to tie up the remaining dozen.

2. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I know Mark at least knows about Zoochat as I've talked with him about it a couple times.

3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is there also a time you are working...?

(592 different collections - this makes me really jealous):eek:;)

4. Talli

Talli Well-Known Member

Ok Tim, now I'm going to have to try to update my spreadsheet and get a real count. I love a challenge! My guess is over 500, but beyond that...

5. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

I am in envy of those who have visited more than 100 and have kept track of each one you've visited. Even living in a country with many zoos like in UK, you still have impressive numbers.

I have been to...14 that I can remember right now. I know I visited Woodland Park Zoo when I was 2 because I've seen the pictures, but I don't remember actually being there. I've only been traveling to visit zoos for about 2 or 3 years now and would probably have been to more if I didn't keep insist on going back to San Diego every chance I get. hahaha.

**eta** Oh wait. I forgot Sea World California. I guess that's 15. I knew I'd forget at least one!

**eta-a** I forgot the aquarium at Mandalay Bay. I've only been there once, but it was when they had the Hammerhead Shark.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2012
  6. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

I think [not too sure at the moment] I am on 24 - including two foreign collections (Terra Natura Benidorm and Mundo Mar). Quite poor but I am one of the youngest members so quite pleased all in all.

7. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

I've been to 7.

It seems so pathetic compared to the rest of you. 430? 297? And I thought I was obsessed...

Let's see, the Good Zoo, the Pittsburgh Zoo, the Columbus Zoo, the Cincinnati Zoo, the Smithsonian National DC Zoo, the Baltimore Zoo, and the Philadelphia Zoo.

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

31 UK collections and 1 none UK collection to date

"Most" of those have been done in the last four years so I'm quite proud of that :D

9. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I don't think it's pathetic - we all have different circumstances, budgets, priorities. But - and this is a genuine question - why is it "only" 7? By my reckoning Wheeling is about three hours from Cleveland, slightly less to Akron, slightly more to Cincinnati. In addition, it's about an hour to Pittsburgh, and while you list the zoo you do not appear to have been to the National Aviary. In other words, you're in a pretty good location for zoos!

10. tamarin

tamarin Well-Known Member

only 2.....:(

11. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wow! after counting I got 26! not bad at all.

lets see:Edinburgh zoo, Edinburgh butterfly and insect world, deep sea world, camper down park, Blair drummond safari park, macduff aquarium, highland wildlife park, skye reptilarium, oban seal sanctuary, scottish deer centre, huntly falconry centre, st andrews aquarium, hazelhead park pets corner(all scotland)

Trotter's world of animals, unknown aquarium in cumbria, other unknown aquarium, Eden ostrich farm, chester zoo.(england)

zoo de champrepus, zoo de jurques, alligator bay, st malo aquarium(france)

affenburg salem, sea life konstanz, freiburg mundenhof, wilhelma zoo(germany)

basel zoo(switzerland)

pfandzer wildpark(austria)

actually, that's 28! not bad for a teenager:D

Last edited: 29 Dec 2012
  12. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

67 votes in and the 'over 100' category still has the most votes. What a right bunch of nerds we all are! :D

13. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes I must admit this really surprises me.

14. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

24s not bad, i'm on 29 myself:p.
    not trying to sound creepy but how old are you, I'm 15.

:pepickoala123:cool:

15. Talli

Talli Well-Known Member

I suppose that's what drew us all here. Just wish some of you collected patches!

16. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Birmingham
    Montgomery
    Knoxville
    Nashville
    Memphis
    Atlanta
    Bronx
    DAK
    Jackson
    Baton Rouge
    Audobon
    Dallas
    Forgot Chattanooga, Chehaw, and North Carolina

Last edited: 2 Jan 2013
  17. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Even though you have not ventured beyond the south and east part of the country, you have some of our nation's best on your list. Dallas, Nashville, Memphis, Bronx are all in my top ten list. (Unlike most ZooChatters, however, I could live without DAK).

18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not being able to drive yet I am limited by my family for the number of zoos/aquariums I can visit a year. I visited only 5 zoos (and no aquariums) last year, 2012. Those are, in order, Roger William's Park Zoo, ZooAmerica, Smithsonian National Zoological Park (did visit on two different days), Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo, and Central Park Zoo. This year, 2013, I already have plans to visit Bronx, Prospect Park, Queens, New York Aquarium, Cincinnati, Columbus, and Newport Aquarium so that already beats my record for last year and I will probably make plans to revisit Beardsley, Mystic Aquarium, and Maritime Aquarium sometime during the year. In 2011, I only visited three facilities- Bronx, Mystic, and Maritime- but visited Bronx three times.

~Thylo:cool:

19. Jonas Livet

Jonas Livet Well-Known Member 15+ year member

998 zoos visited as of today...

Interesting thread!

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

so what are your next two going to be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.