Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2024

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pendraig_milnerae, 4 Jan 2024.

1. pendraig_milnerae

pendraig_milnerae Well-Known Member

I visited Twycross Zoo for the first time today with @Manatee_Sloth, who is a regular (so they’ll be able to talk more about any changes). I’ve got to say I really liked it, there was a lot of mud and huge puddles everywhere following the recent storms, seems drainage is something of an issue, and most of the area between the rhino enclosure and the tapirs along the north edge of the zoo was completely closed off. However, it was a fantastic day, my first time seeing bonobos (and I believe also Francois’ langur), and I was very impressed with the tiger exhibit, Chimpanzee Eden and, of course, Gibbon Forest. Speaking of which, it was great to see Valentina’s baby, who seems very healthy indeed. I’ll be uploading my photos this evening.

2. Pandaboi

Pandaboi Well-Known Member

I’m happy to hear you had a nice time. :) Unfortunately there are a lot of puddles right now which can be a pain haha. The exhibits you listed are certainly impressive and a massive upgrade from their old enclosures. Were the chimpanzees very active when you were there? Normally they are asleep or grooming each over unless it’s feeding time haha

pendraig_milnerae likes this.
  3. pendraig_milnerae

pendraig_milnerae Well-Known Member

The chimpanzees were certainly very active as we arrived around when they were being fed, and there was a talk being given as well. It was amazing to see them so active, however it did mean there were massive crowds inside which made getting through Chimpanzee Eden somewhat difficult.

Rajang-GOAT and Pandaboi like this.
  4. Pandaboi

• Today I asked a Great Ape keeper who confirmed the passing of the much loved Holly and Coco the chimpanzees. Coco was the oldest chimpanzee in Europe being 58 years old. She arrived at Twycross Zoo in 1969. Coco has been an important ambassador for her species - with six children, 19 grandchildren and three great grandchildren to date. Her son, Jambo still lives at Twycross Zoo where he is the dominant male of the main group.
    • Holly was the only daughter of Choppers. She has never had offspring at Twycross Zoo. Holly was born in 1982.
    • Every guest who knew Holly and Coco would know they were absent from the main group. From what I’ve been told, they were bed bound for a while. From my own personal observations, Coco and Holly were very close friends. Always with each other and sharing food.
    • Both Chimpanzees were well loved by everyone at the zoo. I and many others will miss them. I was told an official statement will be out soon.
    • There are 6.4 Chimpanzees at Twycross Zoo. Jambo, Kibali, Flynn, Jomar, Peter, Tommy, Josie, Tuli, Samantha and Victoria.

5. James Barber

James Barber Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Twycross had about 32 Chimps just 15 or so years ago. I didn't realise that they are now down to just 10.

Jambo, Kifaru Bwana, Osedax and 4 others like this.
  6. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It’s a really good point. Are they now in a position to take on more individuals who need to be re-housed in modern accommodation, or, is this going to be purely a targeted breeding group for the species survival plan?

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hardly surprising as most of the chimps at Twycross have been hybrids and a breeding stop was introduced. All but 3 from the current 6.4 are hybrids, save for Samantha (schweinfurthi) and both Kibali and Josie (both verus).

8. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

Oh gosh. I didn’t what they had passed. This is so, so sad. I wonder why they are yet to announce it officially? Coco in particular was a huge ambassador for chimps.

Osedax, Pandaboi and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  9. GA21

GA21 Member

I was told that both Coco and Holly were put to sleep back in November due to health complications and that the zoo will no longer be putting out public statements for animal deaths. Still, a really sad loss for Twycross.

10. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

I w
    I wonder why they have moved to this stance? I feel quite attached to some of the animals, so I also like to know what is going on. Plus I am nosey!

Kifaru Bwana and Osedax like this.
  11. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I think, reading between the lines they have got the planning permission for the new area Documents for reference 23/00948/FUL: Public Access
    The lates document from the council recommends granting planning permission provided certain guild lines are met which I assume is standard, also on master plan seven it shows otters will be returning in the orangutan enclosure and in the document lists two male housing, female and juvenile along with relocation of the lemurs exhibit

Osedax and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As far as animals go, this development now centres around the Orangutans, plus smaller related exhibits and the 'Indonesian village' themed area. While the Orangutans are the Apes most in need of new housing there, these revised plans now mean the Gorillas and Bonobos are likely to remain as they are for the forseeable future.

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

An idea where their proposed new habitats will eventually come up. I really would applaud TWZ going out of the old buildings rather sooner than later (zoo history aside, to me they remain an eyesore standstill in time / the zoo museum would be a fitting Epitaph).

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The original plans for new builds for the other three Great Apes(excluding Chimps) sited it all on the area that is now being used for the new Orangutan/Indonesian area. So anybody's guess where else in the zoo they might use. But I suspect Gorilla/Bonobo redevelopments will be pushed back considerably timewise now, back into the distant future in fact.

15. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

• So I’m assuming this must mean Koko at Whipsnade, if not the oldest, must be one of the oldest Chimps in Europe now? If not the UK?

Osedax, Lafone and Pandaboi like this.
  16. Pandaboi

I was told that Boris is now the oldest, though I'm unsure how old he is.

In other news. The Chilean flamingos are inside for the winter as the lake is too cold for them.

Attached Files:

Osedax and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  17. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

I believe Boris was born in 1966 vs Koko 1973. But she's certainly one of the group of older chimps - hope she has many years left yet.

Osedax, Rajang-GOAT and Pandaboi like this.
  18. GA21

GA21 Member

I believe there are older chimps around - Mabel at Welsh Mountain Zoo must be approaching 60 now and Betty at Dublin Zoo is about 62! Amazing ages!

JT, Osedax and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  19. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I can’t seem to find any literature on the net anymore for the original 2030 master plan, it appears to be erased and replace by this doc,https://twycrosszoo.org/media/rukbotkt/tz-conservation-strategy-2023.pdf a conservation strategy which I find whole uninspiring as a zoo goer and would expect a conservation organisation to do what is set out in this and more with out the need for a strategy.

20. Pandaboi

Something big is coming to the zoo in summer according to their socials. I can’t imagine that it would be a new species, if it was it would be in a renovated enclosure e.g a new species in the old otter enclosure.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2024
    Embu, Osedax, Kifaru Bwana and 2 others like this.