Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Twycross Zoo News 2024

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pendraig_milnerae, 4 Jan 2024.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm pretty sure they will just choose the simplest option, a couple or more new females for Kibale. This would create the least fuss in the group(s) as well. The main problem may be sourcing them though.

Osedax, Rajang-GOAT and Lafone like this.
  2. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

Went today and the interconnecting doors in chimpanzee Eden were all fully open between both enclosures but it was quiet, so many empty or boarded up enclosures the whole field by the park and water area was closed off you couldn’t walk down to where the old dik dik enclosure was, as it was fenced off, quite depressing really

Kifaru Bwana, Osedax, Charles and 2 others like this.
  3. AnOddGuy

AnOddGuy Member

Yeah, it was the same when I went a while back, It's like a ghost town over there. The flamingo pond just seems so deserted with the lack of pelicans and the door locked to the longhouse. Hope something get's done with it eventually. The Wet & Wild Area was always so good before it started falling apart

4. Pandaboi

Pandaboi Well-Known Member

One of the Francois Langurs have given birth. The little one will be joining its older siblings CJ, Fran and the others in the now 8 strong troop.

The leopard tortoises have moved into the enclosure near the old DikDik enclosure.

5. Pandaboi

Lafone likes this.
  6. Pandaboi

Another Francois Langur was born a few days ago. They are the newest addition in the now 9 strong troop including the baby born a few weeks ago.

7. Moorhunhe

Moorhunhe Well-Known Member

We went today.
    And the only reason was, a very last minute decision, as for once it wasn't raining on a day we were both off from work :eek: and we could go on our Chester pass, and we wanted to do something but not go too far out, and Twycross is quite close for us.
    I would have been dissapointed if I had to pay full price, looking at it now compared to when we went for the first time in 2019.
    I know things change, things get moved around, this is just my opinion.
    We don't go to Twycross often, once a year, so maybe it's easier to see the differences?

I'm sure there used to be Diana Monkeys on the right side, but that enclosure was empty.
    The Bush Dog enclosure was boarded up, the owl section was too (though you could see some that were sitting higher up in the trees), where the Titi Monkeys & Pygmy Marmosets used to be is boarded up.
    Basically the entire bit to the right of the park? As I do remember walking "around the back" and there was a bird with long legs (sorry, I really can't come up with the name at the moment, lol) but that entire bit was blocked off too.
    We saw a keeper walking away with the Dik Dik sign, so we figured they are gone, and also didn't spot anything at the enclosure.
    Some new things coming where the Lemurs used to be in 2025, so that will be something to look forward too.

The Titi Monkeys though, are now in the old Crowned Lemur enclosure.
    We saw both Francois Langur babies! One was quite active in front of the window.
    And then we also saw a little one in the Gibbon house being full of beans.
    One of the Tigers showed themselves towards the end of the day, and also both Snow Leopards.

What new animals I did spot, the Silvery Marmoset! Was very happy to finally see these! Was a reason we went to Drayton Manor as they were listed, but they weren't there? (didn't see them, and their name wasn't signed anywhere in the Marmoset trail).
    And also the Brown Spider Monkey, which took some patience for him to come out and show himself.

All in all, it was a nice day. It's also what you make of it yourself isn't it :)
    We had lunch there too, the only place I have been in England so far I will eat chips from (I ain't no fan in general).

8. Pandaboi

The Diana Monkeys are still in the enclosure you are talking about. Recently the outdoor enclosure has had refurbishments made to it. They are currently still in that enclosure but do not have access to the outside. I believe the birds you are referring to with the ‘long legs’ are the Red-Legged Seriemas. The Brown Spider Monkey ‘Magdalena’ doesn’t venture outside much. She prefers to sit in the off-show bedrooms. It’s nice that you got to see her as she will be moving zoos soon. I believe work is starting on the NSCC soon (which is coming in 2025) so hopefully we will start to see more changes in the future.

I’m glad you had a good day. I always like to visit the Fish & Chip shop on the quieter days. It’s not the best of experiences when it’s very busy lol.

9. Pertinax

So the Dianas are temporarily not on show?, as you can't go in the indoor area...

Kifaru Bwana and Pandaboi like this.
  10. Max Blundell

Max Blundell Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Apparently the 2 Dik Dik have gone to London but I didn't see them or a sign for them on my recent visit to London on Tuesday.

11. Pandaboi

Correct, I was just saying that they are still in the enclosure just off-show at the moment. Hopefully they will be back on show soon as they are a great species to watch. The youngest ones ‘Jafar’ and ‘Diego’ are always a fun to watch as they mess around with each other.

It is a shame that the indoor houses for most of the primate species are closed for visitors.

12. Pertinax

The two youngsters were constantly playing together last time I was there. The two females look a bit slow and stiff by comparison.

You used to be able to go in all the primate houses at Twycross. Over the years some have been closed off like the main Monkey house where the Francois Langurs are. I think its a combination of not wanting to show the small old fashioned indoor areas and/or to reduce stress being so close to the inmates. In the Dianas' case thats the oldest gorilla house, its situated in what's now a 'private' area which is a pity. But of course most visitors won't even notice if there's a few species they can't easily see...

Zorro and Pandaboi like this.
  13. Catman56

Catman56 Member

A baby pygmy marmoset has been born. They're in with the red titi monkeys.

Seriema birds have gone to Askham Bryan, York where the ring tailed lemurs moved to.

14. Moorhunhe

Moorhunhe Well-Known Member

Thanks all for some clarifications!

Yes, Red-Legged Seriemas, that was the name! hehe

Has Magdalena been there long then? Last time we went was New Years Day 2023, so it has been a while. I don't remember seeing her then.
    At one point she "flew" outside did a round and quickly went back in and only managed to get a glimpse of her. But then after a while she sat in the windowframe, poking her head into the outside enclosure, and then managed to get a nice look at her, mainly her face, but still good enough to see what she looks like, and her colors.

Pandaboi likes this.
  15. Pandaboi

She’s been at the zoo for a while. She’s a had a couple of offspring at the zoo. Her partner passed away a year ago. They’ve been monitoring her behaviour as she has been by herself for a while. The only thing they’ve noticed is that she has stopped vocalising as much but that’s to be expected.

Sometimes keepers put her food outside but she prefers eating indoors. It’s a shame the zoo is going out of them as I love them.

Osedax and Moorhunhe like this.
  16. Catman56

Catman56 Member

It was a baby silvery marmoset that was born last week rather than Pygmy marmoset. Though could not see a baby when I managed to see the two silvery marmosets today, so may not of survived.

Osedax likes this.
  17. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

They are going out of spider monkeys? Have the birds from the Bornean walk through thing gone? The owls gone too? Gosh, depressing!!

Pandaboi likes this.
  18. Pandaboi

They will be phasing out the Variegated Spider Monkeys but will be focusing on the Black-Headed Spiders which have recently had a baby (Born to ‘Jamundi’ and ‘Monty’). It will be better for the ‘Mag’ the Variegated as she will be able to live in a large group with others of her own kind.

Some of the birds from the Bornean Longhouse have moved to the Gruffalo area the others have left the zoo. I believe it’s the Crane and the cattle egrets who have moved to the Gruffalo area.

Unfortunately many species are leaving the zoo but hopefully in the future more developments can happen in these areas to make the zoo better.

jamie779, Kifaru Bwana and Osedax like this.
  19. jamie779

jamie779 Well-Known Member

Brilliant. Thank you for this. Tigers, Chimp Eden and Gibbon Forest are all excellent ( IMO) but I wish the zoo would be more forthcoming about what is coming up. The masterplan seems to have been erased and replaced by a rather bland statement on conservation. That being said, presumably things are on the way, in addition to the new conservation centre / orang habitat, with that left side of the zoo now being empty. I'd wish they'd tell us though. I am exceptionally nosey!

20. KJ

KJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Email arrived from Twycross not long ago with this information and youtube video attached.

Hello everyone, Craig Dunkerley here, CEO at Twycross Zoo. I'm here to share some important news about The Gruffalo Discovery Land. After reviewing feedback and assessing the area ourselves, we've noticed that parts of it don't meet our high standards. To ensure your visits are always memorable, we will temporarily close this attraction for about two weeks to carry out essential refurbishments.

This closure might disappoint some of our younger visitors and families, but it is

crucial for enhancing your overall experience. Alongside necessary repairs,

we're excited to introduce new interactive 'activity' areas designed

to offer more engaging and educational experiences.

We appreciate your understanding and patience as we work to bring these

improvements to life.

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you back

to a newly revitalized Gruffalo Discovery Land soon.

KEY DATES

Closure Tuesday 7th May - Friday 24th May

Reopening Saturday 25th May

TriUK and Pandaboi like this.