Join our zoo community

You might belong or be on zoochat if...

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by JBZvolunteer, 5 Apr 2012.

1. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You belong to ZooChat when you don't find Gentle Lemur boring...

2. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Never.....

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Very true but I'm actually missing a couple because my parents weren't that much into zoo's and neither was I at the time!

4. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But you think Pandas are :).

5. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

When some kids you know want to play with your iPhone/iPad, you only show them the "ZooBorns" and "Instant Wild" apps and they have to like it! :D

6. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When you ask a keeper for news of a certain species and they reply 'why ask me, you're here more than I am.'

Van Beal and pachyderm pro like this.
  7. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

You always know what the zoo management/designing staff SHOULD have done :p

bongorob likes this.
  8. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

1: You would never ever visit Paris even though the city has a phenomenal offer of sights that would keep you excited for weeks, because the only zoo they have is that pity of the Menagerie (I've never been to Paris Menagerie nor the city itself, so I don't have any opinion, but it doesn't seem to very well-liked around these parts). On the other hand, you would spend two weeks in an obscure corner of Germany with no attractions for the regular tourist other than a small viewing tower because it is packed with nice zoos.

2: No matter the amount, you know which zoos you have visited.

3: You've visited more zoos than a regular person would think existed in the whole wide world, but you barely feel you have seen the tip of the iceberg and have a least 100 more zoos you would like to see.

4: You don't feel embarrassed by visiting zoos without company (not saying you should, but some families might think you would be, being a grown-up walking around in a supposedly kid's place on your own), and you are actually scared of the thought of company who would not realize how amazingly awesome it is seeing that northern white rhinoceros, but instead goes crazy about the cute and playful ring-tailed lemurs.

Guilty in the second one and partially guilty in the fourth one in that if I'm visiting with someone that is at least more than average knowledgeable about animals, I prefer visiting with company, but I'd rather go alone than with someone who thinks a ring-tailed lemur is a sloth.

Mostly not guilty in the first one, though a nice zoo certainly could make the place more attractive to me. Actually I've also tried the third one once, even though I've only visited 50-60 something zoos (and that's counting aquaria, farm zoos and the sort).

9. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I for one would really like to see the menagerie jardin des plantes, the first public zoo in the world.

10. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

^ haha, exactly!

11. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You go to the gift shop hoping to find postcards of the unusual animals that the zoo has. Instead, the cards show the usual suspects, including some species that aren't in the zoo at all.
    --

When I visited Chester Zoo for the first time, I expected the postcard stall to have a card showing a tuatara, as Chester was the only mainland zoo with this species. It wasn't depicted. Oxford Street had the 'London Dolphinarium' and I remember a London postcard showing a leaping bottle-nosed dolphin; unfortunately the photo was taken in Miami.

12. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

You think it's completely normal behaviour to exchange and study photos of female orangutans' intimate areas to enable you to check for possible pregnancies at your zoo.

13. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

-You are able to spend twenty minutes watching tamanduas but can barely spend a minute with elephants or chimps
    - You critically evaluate every animal sculpture in the grounds of your local zoo
    - You read older members talking of linsangs, tarsiers and pacarana and wish you were thirty years older
    - You are able to spend most of the day on Google Scholar trying to find out the captive care of black-shouldered opossums
    - You try and plan all your holidays to include at least one zoo
    - You find out which Netherlands zoos you get to visit on a university field trip and immediately run to Zootierliste to see if they have anything you haven't seen before
    - Seeing Maguari's photos of the pangolins at Leipzig makes you nearly retch with envy

:D

felis silvestris and bongorob like this.
  14. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

You might belong or be on zoochat if.... you know what zootierliste is.

15. MountainBongo

MountainBongo Well-Known Member

I was surprised to go into the San Diego Zoo's main gift shop and find postcards with only Okapis, Clouded Leopards, and more! I got 30+ postcards there!

16. Dassie rat

The first time I went to the postcard kiosk in Frankfurt, there were a few cards of species that used to be in the collection. One of the cards showed a gerenuk, which I have only seen at Los Angeles Zoo.

17. MountainBongo

You have only seen gerenuk in Los Angeles? Diffently go to San Diego (zoo and safari park), Miami, and Disney's Animal Kingdom if you want to see them again in a better exhibit!

18. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

You might belong on zoochat if... you remember when you had more posts and photo uploads than Snowleopard

19. Dassie rat

Hallo JBZBongo

I'd like to go back to the USA and see gerenuks and other animals I haven't seen for many years.

20. MountainBongo

When you come back see San Diego Zoo and Safari Park, Henry Doorly Zoo, Bronx Zoo, and Zoo Miami if you can. If you can only go to one do the San Diego!