Join our zoo community

You might belong or be on zoochat if...

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by JBZvolunteer, 5 Apr 2012.

1. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks JZBongo

When I visited the USA in 1991, I visited the Bronx and Central Park Zoos in New York, the zoo and Waikiki aquarium in Honolulu and the San Diego and Los Angeles Zoos. I took advantage of stopovers as I went round the world to see a friend in Australia. I'd like to see some of the other zoos, especially those with animals I haven't seen before.

2. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Your nightmares involve you forgetting your camera at the zoo.

Osedax and animal_expert01 like this.
  3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Or it breaks down when you have just taken your second shot . . . . it has happened to me :(

Alan

4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When you can walk around the same 4 acre site, several times a year, and bore your poor spouse to death pointing out any minor changes that have occured...
    (If the missus reads this, I'm sorry! :p)

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've done that, it was all the more annoying because I had constantly reminded my three companions to take their cameras. Arrived at Bristol Zoo with spare film, spare batteries, zoom lens and no camera.

6. BeardsleyZooFan

When I was at Mystic Aquarium, I was about to take a pic of the Beluga Whales when I realized my camera was almost out of battery. I barely managed to get a good amount of pics, and took far less than I normally do. Now I always charge my camera before I go somewhere.

7. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I lost my camera the day before a weekend in Amsterdam. I almost cancelled the trip.

You might belong on zoochat if:
    • You don't feel that you need a reason to photograph signage
    • You always carry spare camera batteries
    • The name 'Nemo' sends shivers down your spine

Last edited: 1 May 2012
  8. BeardsleyZooFan

I also nearly had a heart attack when I lost my camera right before a trip to Beardsley Zoo to see Alya, who was a cute little kitten back then. I managed to use my Android Phone, and my photo of Alya on there was my avatar for a long time before these peccaries.:)

9. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have a couple of horror camera stories as well. I'm not hugely into photography but I still like taking photos to remember things. So when I drove 8 hours or so to Adelaide Zoo and realised I had forgot my camera I was pretty ticked off but you can imagine my raw fury when I found it in the glovebox of my car as we were driving home. The other story involves my camera being stolen while I was in Antwerp on the day that I visited the zoo and then having it get handed back in that night.

10. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I can relate to all three!

:p

Hix

11. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I went to Karori without batteries for my camera, a New Zealand falcon sat on a branch right over the path, I think he was laughing at me!

12. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

You might belong on zoochat if:

people say 'oh he must have spotted one' when you take a picture of an empty enclosure.

13. MountainBongo

MountainBongo Well-Known Member

If you have a collection of zoo maps

Hate when people talk about how zoos trap animals in cages

See an okapi without saying "it looks like a mix of a horse and a zebra"

You want your zoo to have a day where children under 14 can't come in

You pass the petting coral to see the antelope or small cat species

Your favorite animal is not a dog or cat (domestic)

Your friends thing you know the most about animals while you thing you know nothing

Hate when people reference animals to Disney characters

Go on ZooChat everyday

Osedax, Van Beal and natel12 like this.
  14. BeardsleyZooFan

When you freak out because the place you are staying at has no wi-fi and you can't go on ZooChat (3 weeks ago)

15. BeardsleyZooFan

I actually had a dream like this two nights ago:D
    You tell a zookeeper at the Bronx Zoo that the Ring-Tailed Mongeese are the only ones of their kind at a U.S. zoo, and they say "Really?"
    You wait, just wait, for that new animal you visited to see to go on exhibit when it's not there. This is from when I visited Beardsley in February to see the first Chacoan Peccary piglet born at an AZA zoo in the Northeast, and everybody said it was too cold for her to go out. I just stood at the peccary exhibit for 15 minutes until keepers came out and said they were bringing her outside on exhibit.

16. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Then was it London that is not very well-liked around these parts? I seem to remember a thread here on Zoochat where people talked about a zoo in a big city and how it was only a shade of its former self. And some people implied that they wouldn't visit the city itself for all of the other fantastic attractions there, because the zoo was bad.

More for the list:

- The only zoo where you actually spend more time looking at the animals themselves rather than looking at, analyzing and photographing the exhibits, is your home zoo.

17. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

@Shirokuma- :D

@JBZBongo- A day without kids under 14? I don't think many ZooChat members would agree with you. What does that imply, exactly? That kids under that age can't control themselves? I'll have you know that I recently turned 14, and many a time in my short life, I have come across zoo visitors in their 20s and 30s that were much less mature than I.

ZooElephantMan likes this.
  18. MountainBongo

MountainBongo Well-Known Member

I agree... some 10 year olds are more mature then some 40 year olds! How about a zoochatters only day?

19. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

You belong on ZooChat:

- If you find that you are the only one rushing up to the glass to see the maleo while everyone else is crowding around a lone parrot

- If your aunt, having heard that you're planning another zoo visit, asks you, "Aren't you tired of seeing those smelly animals?"

- If women comment on your "professionalism" because you're running around with a video camera on a tripod

@JBZBongo- That seems more appropriate. But, come to think of it, there'd only be 20-25 people in every other zoo across the country. :eek:

20. BeardsleyZooFan

When your family says, "I'm all animaled out.":D