Join our zoo community
natty

12/10/09

12/10/09
natty, 30 Nov 2009
    • Javan Rhino
      I really don't like this building, and I think it is the ugliest thing in the zoo (no offense to anybody that might like it). I think it was early this year that they were confined to their indoor quaters and this area, and they were all eating their own feaces (stereotypical behaviour in Chimps, and the only time I really wasn't impressed with something in Chester).
      It is just a horrible building that the Chimps just sit in. Their island is great to be fair, but I will be very happy if Heart of Africa goes ahead and they have a more appealing exhibit.
    • Pertinax
      It is very ugly but its functional though its rather cramped for the big group of chimps they have nowadays. I'm sure the HoA chimp exhibit will be a huge improvement.
    • Javan Rhino
      Yeah, I'm sure Chester will do something world-class. I agree that it has some functionality, but I think it would benefit with simple things like a small group or larger area, a more natural substrate and wooden platforms instead of green steel.

Whilst it has a small amount of enrichment, whenever I see the chimps in there they just seem so bored.
    • taun
      What a load of rubbish!

Sorry but did you know that Chester's chimps can have access outside 24 hours a day?

How exactly could you make this larger?

Chester have placed woodchip down to cover the concrete floor but like all animals it gets moved aorund.

Green steel!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a look at the picture again and when you're there because wood does cover the platforms (yes it held up by green steel). I doubt the chimps would lie down or sit on steel!!.
    • Javan Rhino
      I see what you mean about the actual platforms, but I was thinking about the supports themselves (this is more of an aesthetic (sp) thing to be honest, I just think it looks ugly).
      As for them having access, I know they usually do but I've never seen them looking happy in there, so it's just personal experiance. When they were locked inside earlier in the year (or late last year), there was a horrid amount of stereotypical behaviour. I don't think it could be made bigger (unless you made it off-show and used the public bit as well, or just built extensions to the existing building). Don't get me wrong, I love Chester as a whole and it's my favourite, but when you compare the chimp house to Budungo at Ednburgh and several others I have seen images of, as well as exhibits such as Realm of the Red Ape and Spirit of the Jaguar, it is far from a naturalistic 'rainforest' exhibit that they should be trying for (again, this is personal opinion that animals and guests are happier with naturalistic exhibits).

Also, I know the reason Chester havn't concentrated on extending the indoor facilities or building new ones since they will soon be moving anyway. This is all just opinion, and I hope I haven't offended anybody.
    • taun
      Not offended, just you posted a load of rubbish which was mostly wrong.

And it's a typical response to say the chimps don't seem to "happy!"

The other ape houses are much newer, so how can you compare to them? Eps. the indoors, Chesters chimp island is actually probably the best outdoor exhibit of them all. But then we cannot compare it to RoRA as it's for a different species and has different needs.
    • Maguari
      This house isn't one of my favourites- the walkway is very narrow and usually packed full of people and it's very dark. That said, as taun points out, the island is superb.
    • Javan Rhino
      I can agree with that, their island is brilliant. I always thought that part was very good, and recently I discovered it was much larger. I think I'm just going on a 'naturalistic is better' though, it was the stereotypical eating feaces that I saw that made me think it wasn't brilliant when they were stuck inside. I just think it's rather ugly ;p
    • redpanda
      I believe coprophagia has been observed in wild chimps as well.
    • Javan Rhino
      Ahhh, I didn't know that. When I said about it to a friend who studied Animal Management for a National Diploma at Reasheath, she told me that it was a form of stereotypical behaviour that could be found in captive primates.

Mind you, I've heard that wild cats, especially Jaguars, pace to guard their territory, yet this is seen as stereotypical? Is this true?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    natty
    Date:
    30 Nov 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: