Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

Emperor Penguin (Aptenodytes forsteri)

More information on this individual here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/5172214/Rare-NZ-emperor-penguin-appearance Basically, the bird was first spotted at Paraparaumu beach (just north of Wellington) on the afternoon of the 20th, then moved up to Pekapeka beach that evening. The news got out to the birdwatching community and also the general media on the 21st. I went up on the morning of the 22nd (today) hoping he would still be there, and fortunately he was, and most fantastic he was too even if he did stay prone upon the ground rather than standing up and strutting his stuff. Seriously, a magnificent bird. Can't help but feel sorry for the penguin though, completely lost with no idea what to do. Yesterday he was observed eating wet sand, apparently under the impression it was snow. Although he looks more-or-less fine at the moment I have a feeling he may end up at the Wellington Zoo hospital for recovery, and then he'll get shipped back to Antarctica where he belongs. Unless he just vanishes into the surf before then or, hopefully not (!), gets killed by a dog. The first record of an emperor penguin on the NZ mainland (in 1967) was actually a ship-assisted bird so this current one is really the first proper record. Its also probably the most northerly emperor penguin on record. New Zealand is really a very long way north of anywhere they occur normally.

Emperor Penguin (Aptenodytes forsteri)
Chlidonias, 22 Jun 2011
amur leopard likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      More information on this individual here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/5172214/Rare-NZ-emperor-penguin-appearance

Basically, the bird was first spotted at Paraparaumu beach (just north of Wellington) on the afternoon of the 20th, then moved up to Pekapeka beach that evening. The news got out to the birdwatching community and also the general media on the 21st. I went up on the morning of the 22nd (today) hoping he would still be there, and fortunately he was, and most fantastic he was too even if he did stay prone upon the ground rather than standing up and strutting his stuff. Seriously, a magnificent bird. Can\'t help but feel sorry for the penguin though, completely lost with no idea what to do. Yesterday he was observed eating wet sand, apparently under the impression it was snow. Although he looks more-or-less fine at the moment I have a feeling he may end up at the Wellington Zoo hospital for recovery, and then he\'ll get shipped back to Antarctica where he belongs. Unless he just vanishes into the surf before then or, hopefully not (!), gets killed by a dog.

The first record of an emperor penguin on the NZ mainland (in 1967) was actually a ship-assisted bird so this current one is really the first proper record. Its also probably the most northerly emperor penguin on record. New Zealand is really a very long way north of anywhere they occur normally.
    • kiang
      You must have been like a greyhound out of the trap on hearing of his arrival Chlidonias.
      Great pics.
      As a zoochatter, i have to ask, is there any chance or under any circumstances that he may be kept in New Zealand?
      I would have thought Kelly Tarlton's would be the natural choice, but obviously we would sooner see him make his own way home.
    • zooboy28
      Well, that might be nice...:D

And was actually suggested in this article: Emperor penguin must find own way home | Stuff.co.nz

• Chlidonias
      well, if he needs medical care then he will surely go to Wellington Zoo because it is right nearby and has the facilities for treating seabirds (and, I would presume, would have the capability of chilling a room whilst the penguin was at the hospital there). If he had to stay permanently in captivity for some reason then Kelly Tarlton's is the only place in NZ that could keep him because they have their chilled "Antarctic" exhibit for king and gentoo penguins.

Although of course I'm hoping he can make it back to Antarctica either through his own efforts or through human assistance.

I don't think there's any way I can top Emperor Penguin this year - whatever other wildlife I see from now will be automatic second place :)

(EDIT: zooboy28 posted while I was typing)
    • CGSwans
      If the bird cannot get back to Antarctica, then surely the ideal location to house him is Sea World San Diego with other emperor penguins. I'm sure they would be wiling to cover the cost of his transfer in order to acquire a new founder for their population.
    • Jabiru96
      I'm sure he would adjust finely with living with King Penguins (such as at Kelly Tarlton's) but there could be a chance of hybridisation when he gets older.
    • Chlidonias
      I think CGSwans was more saying that if this bird did have to be taken into captivity on a permanent basis then the best and most useful place for him to be would be amongst other emperors
    • Hix
      Wouldn't you be?

:p

Hix
    • Chlidonias
      sadly the news today is not good: Emperor penguin takes turn for the worse | Stuff.co.nz
      several things mentioned in that report that I had been worrying about, particularly the "drunken youths" bit, and then people blaming DoC for whatever happens. Of course infection of some sort was always going to be a big risk, as aspergillosis in particular is well-known as a killer of captive emperors outside their natural habitat. They should really get it to the zoo hospital as soon as possible, and at least then can see what can or can't be done to save it.
    • zooboy28
      Realistically both the penguin and DOC are in very difficult positions. It should go to the zoo hospital asap, however, if it does recover it doesn't have a lot of options. If Kelly Tarltons aren't interested because of disease risk, presumably San Diego Sea World feels the same. I am also unsure whether or not DOC/MAF would give permits for its export. A trip back to Antarctica is not likely, both because of the reasons above about bird transport, but also the cost involved. If DOC does fork out to get it down there it will cop a lot of flak over money, especially as they have just announced a further 100+ job losses, but if they don't send it then they will cop a lot of flak over being mean, and what will become of the penguin? All in all a tricky situation, but I really do hope it works out.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    New Zealand - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    22 Jun 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    189.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1064px
    Make:
    PENTAX Corporation
    Model:
    PENTAX *ist DL
    Date / Time:
    2011:06:22 07:52:00
    Exposure Time:
    1/180 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    0 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).