15 Acre Bison/Elk Enclosure

April 2009.

15 Acre Bison/Elk Enclosure
snowleopard, 1 May 2009
kermodei likes this.
    • snowleopard
      April 2009.
    • jbnbsn99
      Wow, these huge exhibits really look great.
    • snowleopard
      Roosevelt Elk, Black-tailed Deer and Bison share a massive, 15-acre enclosure that can be seen properly via a 15 minute bus tour. There is also a 10-acre enclosure that holds 2 wolves and 5 black bears that can only be viewed via the tour.
      kermodei and iluvwhales like this.
    • jbnbsn99
      Would I be right to say that this is one of if not the largest North American exhibit out there as least as far as acreage.
    • snowleopard
      You should check out the website for the Northwest Trek Wildlife Park, which is south of Seattle. It is around 600 acres in total, and there is a 200-acre enclosure that holds rocky mountain goats, moose, blacktail deer, bighorn sheep, reindeer, elk and bison. I've visited the park twice, and it is possible to take a tram through the amazing 200-acre paddock, and then there are numerous smaller mammals to see on walking tours in a woodland area that is basically thick forest.
    • snowleopard
      @Hix: you are right about the Canadian Domain at the Toronto Zoo having some massive paddocks, but if I'm not mistaken that entire section of the zoo is going to be permanently closed later on this year. The new Arctic Tundra area (polar bear, wolves, etc) is opening up and some animals are moving there. The others will likely be moved to other zoos, if they have not been shifted already. The Canadian Domain was always the least visited section of the zoo, primarily because of the large hill that led down to that North American zone.
    • Quartz92
      Correction on the Toronto Zoo. The Tundra Trek is opening soon, the Canadian Domain however is not closing. The zoo is building new exhibits for most animals in the Canadian Domain around the future polar bear exhibit. The Canadian Domain paddocks will however be used for surplus animals and off exhibit yards as well as a nature walk. The Canadian Domain will be emptied of exhibiting animals within 5 years.
    • snowleopard
      So anyone wishing to revisit the old Canadian Domain has 5 years to do it? Thanks for the update Quartz92. I can't wait to see your photos of Tundra Trek later on this year.
    • Hix
      Doesn't the monorail still run through the Canadian Domain?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Greater Vancouver Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    1 May 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: