Join our zoo community
Chalklion

elephant

elephant
Chalklion, 5 Aug 2011
felis silvestris likes this.
    • mcatee123
      is this the pre casson pavillion elephant house?
    • Chalklion
      I believe this pre-dates the casson pavillion by around 3 years.
    • Cat-Man
      has anybody got pictures of the african + asian elephant enclosures before the opening of the casson pavillion? (until the opening of casson, they were both kept separate, one roughly where the roundhouse is now, and another before the mappins if i'm correct?)
    • Tim May
      The elephant enclosure in the picture was roughly were the Clore Pavilion is now

As I remember this enclosure, as a very small child in the late 1950s / early 1960s, both African and Asiatic elephants were kept here.
    • mcatee123
      is that structure she is walking towards shade or the house or ?
    • Tim May
      It is a large concrete sunshade; the indoor accommodation was underground.
    • mcatee123
      Wow didnt know that
    • Cat-Man
      so what about the elephant enclosure behind the mappins?, but thanks for the info tim:)
    • Tim May
      I personally do not remember elephants kept behind the Mappin Terraces, but there were buildings there and I believe that one of them, the old Tapir House, was used for temporary elephant accommodation at times.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL London Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Chalklion
    Date:
    5 Aug 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    171.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1599px
    Height:
    1066px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).