Join our zoo community
Tim May

Hartmann's mountain zebra; Linton Zoo; 14th April 2012

Hartmann's mountain zebra; Linton Zoo; 14th April 2012
Tim May, 21 Apr 2012
Rajang-GOAT and UngulateNerd92 like this.
    • Jordan-Jaguar97
      Brilliant shot!

It's a shame they haven't bred successfully yet, however I'm still hopeful. Linton's male apparently isn't up to the job, were they all together when you visited?
    • Tim May
      Thank you very much :)

Yes, all three animals were together in the enclosure.
    • Jordan-Jaguar97
      Not a problem. One of the females 'Heidi' was one of the two or three Zebras which were on-loan at South Lakes for a few years. I'd like her, Bette from Blackpool and another female to form a new 'retirement group' allowing Linton and Blackpool to bring in another young female maybe spicing up the group at Linton. Blackpool's are already proven to breed.
    • Tim May
      “Heidi” was born at Marwell in 1992; she was sent to South Lakes in 1996 and then returned to Marwell about three years later. She has been at Linton for almost five years.
    • Pertinax
      Seems like the current combination of animals at Linton won't breed having been together some years. Maybe an exchange of stallions(e.g. with Blackpool) would help?

Blackpool's seems to be the only proven male in the UK currently- Paignton's died a few months back, leaving both females pregnant, while their previous one, 'Bingo', which was unsuccessful and is now at Marwell, seems very unlikely to breed there either.
    • IanRRobinson
      Hartmann's are antisocial creatures and to build up a decent sized group really will need a zoo with a big paddock. Whipsnade, are you reading this?
    • Pertinax
      They are very 'crabby' creatures- Marwell's used to seemingly hate each other! Seen them in the wild and they behave the same there too.
    • Jordan-Jaguar97
      The specimen in this photo (one of the females?) has a very 'clean' tail unlike Blackpool's Zebras who have a 'dirty' or 'grubby' coloring.

Blackpool's male is rather aggressive but he is a proven male. Maybe if Blackpool's foal Tebogo would move to either Linton or Marwell and the Linton male to move to Paignton? I know Paignton have a foal already and another on the way so if Paignton have two male foals then maybe they and Blackpool's male could move to another 'new' holder in the UK (Or the more obvious thing to do would be to set up a new bachelor group elsewhere in Europe) and set up a bachelor herd.

Bachelor herds in Zebras seem to make the male more successful. If the male can get all of his 'playfulness' out of him before moving onto a herd with females then that improves chances of breeding so I've been told. Blackpool's male 'Fernando' was in a bachelor group for few years.
    • Jordan-Jaguar97
      Whipsnade would be a good place to start breeding Hartmann's. They did have them for some time in the 90's I believe, I think one of the Marwell females 'Pippa' was there for a while too.
    • IanRRobinson
      It was longer ago than that. London did have Hartmann's in the 1980s for a while, and even bred a foal. But they wanted to mix zebra with giraffes again, so they went (to Paignton?) to be replaced by Chapman's. Otherwise ZSL involvement with this animal goes back a good 30 years. Tim May might know more.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Linton Zoological Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    Tim May
    Date:
    21 Apr 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    357.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1064px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
    Date / Time:
    2012:04:14 15:32:04
    Exposure Time:
    1/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    205 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).