Aug. 2012-White-handed Gibbon/Sumatran Orangutan exhibit

Jungle Trails: Asia

Aug. 2012-White-handed Gibbon/Sumatran Orangutan exhibit
Moebelle, 21 Aug 2012
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • Moebelle
      Jungle Trails: Asia
    • TropicWorld54
      I think that this exhibit would be better for chimpanzees, bonobos, or gorillas.
    • Moebelle
      Acutally I think it is fit for just gibbons (right now. Gorilla, bonobos, and chimps would ruin the Asian theme), but since they have moved inside, Lana and Henry are a ton more active.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      While there are a hell lot more worse orang and gibbon enclosures, this one could certainly use more climbing oppurtunities for both species. However, orangs are one of the hardest animals to make good exhibits for.
    • Zooplantman
      Can you name a good orang exhibit?
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      It seems that Woodland Park is probably the best in North America, but Cincinnati has a better orang exhibit than most U.S. zoos.
    • Zooplantman
      Oh I absolutely agree with you...not sure I ever saw a great one although in their different ways Chester Zoo and Woodland Park excel.

Just hoped you had a different and better candidate.

One reason this exhibit struggles is that it is long and narrow. It is difficult to locate great naturalistic climbing opportunities for gibbons (especially) that wouldn't result in them escaping (again!). It would not, on the other hand, be so difficult to add hideous jungle gym type climbing furniture.
    • reduakari
      Paignton and Leipzig offer orangs access to large mature trees, and in the case of Leipzig a features a pretty compelling forest backdrop as well. No real sense of 'tropical rainforest," but it is large and provides an opportunity to watch orangs of all ages being arboreal.
    • blospz
      Perhaps because it was new enrichment for the orangs, but the zoo just posted a video of them investigating the new gibbon baby on display. They seemed to be very active and using the vines often to swing around. Although I think the exhibit looks like it is more suited for the gibbons, it doesn't seem that bad for the orangs.
    • Moebelle
      At least this exhibit also has elevation so the animals can still look over us without being in a tree. I wish this exhibit had the same features of the amazing indoor exhibit. (http://www.zoochat.com/556/jul-2012-white-handed-gibbon-exhibit-280065/). I shoudl mention if people didn't already know but there are also two trees and a set of vines on either side of the photo.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden
    Uploaded By:
    Moebelle
    Date:
    21 Aug 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    113.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    640px
    Height:
    480px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).