Join our zoo community
Wild wolverine

1973 Official Zoo Guidebook - Tiger and Axis Deer exhibit

This photo shows the tiger and axis deer & blackbuck exhibits. The exhibits have changed very little since, other than now home to Bactrian camels instead of deer and blackbuck. Credit: Milwaukee County Park Commission 1973

1973 Official Zoo Guidebook - Tiger and Axis Deer exhibit
Wild wolverine, 27 Apr 2022
JVM, Komodo Dragon, Ituri and 10 others like this.
    • savetherhino
      Looks better than with camels
    • birdsandbats
      @savetherhino I have to disagree. This mix of Blackbuck and Axis Deer looks super cool, and seem to better fit the Tiger in the background (I doubt Tigers often hunt Bactrian Camels).
    • savetherhino
      @birdsandbats I think you misunderstood. I was saying that it looks better in the photo than with the camels
    • birdsandbats
      @savetherhino Ah yes, that makes a lot more sense.

Also, I just noticed there are four Tigers in the photo! Wow!
    • Paul Kalisch
      A really beautiful photo! It really much reminds me of the Africa Panoroma in Hagenbeck from 1907, only instead of lions and African hoofstock, with tigers and Asian hoofstock, aswell as different looking artificial rock. As much as i love the Hagenbeck original, the Asian animals really make this sight stand out from the much more common African counterpart. Admittedly i must say that the tiger exhibit doesn't appear to be that big for modern standards, having said that my judgement is based solely on this photo.
    • birdsandbats
      @Paul Kalisch Both of the exhibits in this photo are still here today. The angle on the Tiger exhibit in this photo is super weird, the exhibit is a fine size for one or two Tigers but four is obviously too many.
    • Paul Kalisch
      @birdsandbats Good to hear, this makes this enclosure complex really excellent!
      Luckily the husbandry standards have changed and today nearly no zoo would keep four tigers in one single enclosure.
    • savetherhino
    • HowlerMonkey
      I vividly remember seeing this picture as well as the pictures of the Impala, Moose and Tapir exhibits while reading the book numerous times. Those photos definitely started my strong love of antelope as well as anything with hooves.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Milwaukee County Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Wild wolverine
    Date:
    27 Apr 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).