Foxinthebox

1980s

Chimpanzees

1980s
Foxinthebox, 27 Aug 2014
    • Foxinthebox
      Chimpanzees
    • jacks zoo
      I hadn't realised this enclosure was originally open fronted as well as open topped-was there a dry moat at the front?
    • Nanook
      Good-grief!! I wonder if this is the Chimp that used to smoke ?? I can`t remember his name. Causeway was notoriously bad from what I understand.
    • Parrotsandrew
      And the Chimpanzees went on a little outing! I remember a surplus list from Causeway being displayed in the window of the Golf Hut at Sewerby.
    • Pertinax
      One of these Chimpanzees (I don't know if it was this one) was born at Bristol Zoo and named 'Ben'. I believe he was one of the ones involved in the 'escape' too.
    • Nanook
      Isn`t that bizarre, a surplus list from Causeway being put up in Sewerby!
    • Nanook
      I have got a newsletter from the causeway somewhere. Will dig it out.
    • Paradoxurus
      This was the original elephant enclosure - hence the large doors at the back.

I believe the last chimps (which were both ex-circus chimps - either Chipperfields or Barbara Howse) went to Cefn-yr-Erw.

Thanks for posting this great set of photos, Foxinthebox.
    • jacks zoo
      Back in 2006 there was a programme called 'the lion game' on bbc northern ireland about the history of CSP-has anybody ever seen it?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Causeway Safari Park (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    Foxinthebox
    Date:
    27 Aug 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    145.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1146px
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    CanoScan LiDE 25

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).