Giant Eland

southern muriqui, Brachyteles arachnoides

Giant Eland, 28 Jul 2013
    • Giant Eland
    • IanRRobinson
      Dear God, this place looks wonderful! What's it like?
    • Giant Eland
      It's fantastic! Totally worth the 2 hour bus ride from Sao Paulo. The exhibits are pretty average, but the collection is outstanding, especially for South American mammals. In addition to photos I posted they also had crab eating fox, red howlers, jaguarundi, greater grison, white-cheeked spider monkey, Peruvian spider monkey.
    • vogelcommando
      Howmany Muriquis are kept and do you know anything about breeding-results ?
    • Shirokuma
      Thank you for sharing all these pictures, they are fascinating.

I looked up the zoo website and they have a map. If you click on it you can see images of the exhibits:

Confira o Mapa do Zoo Sorocaba
    • mstickmanp
      I like that map! More zoos should take note and do that.
    • snowleopard
      Thanks for posting. The exhibits for many species seem fairly mediocre, and the larger mammals (elephants, hippos, chimps, etc) have what appear to be enclosures that are a bit outdated. I wonder if hosting the World Cup in 2014 and the Summer Olympics in 2016 will encourage many facilities to upgrade before the hordes of tourists arrive.
    • Giant Eland
      Yeah the exhibits were pretty basic. Nothing appalling. I doubt Sorocaba would receive any upgrades since it's 1.5 hours by bus from Sao Paulo.
    • carlos77
      The map is great. According to the zoo website (in portuguese, of course ) the three muriquis, Preto, Daime and Robinho, are all confiscated primates.
      On another note, should one really compare zoos in South america to the U.S. zoos with much larger budgets or to zoos in Eastern Europe or even Asia with similar limitations?
      In the latter perspective many of the S.A. zoos are better.
    • Shirokuma
      I agree with you entirely. I think many Latin American zoos are excellent given the limited resources available.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Parque Zoológico Municipal Quinzinho de Barros
    Uploaded By:
    Giant Eland
    Date:
    28 Jul 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: