Join our zoo community
snowleopard

25 rare, 1970s-era 'Britains' zoo animals

June 27th, 2020

25 rare, 1970s-era 'Britains' zoo animals
snowleopard, 27 Jun 2020
amur leopard likes this.
    • Ned
      I wonder how widely Britains zoo animals were sold? Obviously they were sold in Britain but were they sold across they world?
    • Andrew Swales
      Britains Zoo animals are not named after Great Britain.
      William Britain started making hollow-cast lead toy soldiers in 1893. The ranges widened and the lead Zoo animal moulds were used for injection moulded plastic when this process was perfected. The company still exists and makes farm models. It has been part of the Japanese TOMY toy company since 2011.
      Britains models are widely collected and much information is available on-line - such as Britains Zoo (Britains Zoological Series), painted hollowcast zoo animals by W. Britain.
      Most of those shown are quite late, not rare, and could be picked up on eBay for a few pounds.
      Ned and snowleopard like this.
    • snowleopard
      This photo would cost me quite a bit of money to duplicate if I decided to re-purchase all 25 of the animals. Browsing Ebay.uk shows that all of the animals can be found for approximately 5-6 pounds each, plus double that as there is a significant cost for postage to Canada. It would cost me at least $500 Canadian for the 25 toy zoo animals in this photo. Yikes!

I have no shortage of animals in my collection (although most aren't really worth anything), but what I'd really like to learn more about are the zoo 'sets' that include exhibits. Something like this would be brilliant to own:

[​IMG]
    • Chlidonias
      I had quite a few of these animals. I definitely had the giraffe, tapir, walking polar bear, tiger, lion, lion cubs, giant anteater, and llama. No idea what happened to them though.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Memorabilia & Collectables
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    27 Jun 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/1.8
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone XR
    Date / Time:
    2020:06:26 18:25:21
    Exposure Time:
    1/40 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 250
    Focal Length:
    4.25 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).