When the Mappins were the Mappins, early 1980s

When the Mappins were the Mappins, early 1980s
Parrotsandrew, 4 Jul 2014
carlos55 likes this.
    • FBBird
      When the Mappins....

A great loss to the London skyline
    • bongorob
      I was lucky to visit London in September 1985, I think that was the last year the Mappins were open.
    • Pertinax
      Great shot- both historically and composition wise.
    • Parrotsandrew
      Thank-you. I could have got the higher animals in completely as well though!
    • Pertinax
      Good photography alone won't get you a gold star though :D- it has to be a photo or information about some animal(s) I am particularly interested in.;)
    • Nanook
      Brilliant, for so many reasons.
    • IanRRobinson
      So sad that the Goat Hills have been abandoned. The animals kept did very well. and they were visible from the Park. This flock of Aoudad/Barbary Sheep dated back to the 1840s!!
    • Panthera1981
      So I imagine they were inbred beyond belief?:eek:
    • IanRRobinson
      Don't look at the Pere David's Deer studbook !! :rolleyes: Almost certainly, they ALL descend from one pair kept at Berlin Zoo in the 1870s....
    • Panthera1981
      My earliest memories of the Mappins are of looking at them through a closed gate, standing empty and unloved, so any photos I find with animals on I appreciate!

It's a shame I shall never see them as they were, but maybe that's a good thing in terms of animal welfare. I don't hold out much hope for it's future-it's rotten inside and out and would cost millions to restore I'd imagine. Isn't the Aquarium the only thing preventing it from collapsing?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL London Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Parrotsandrew
    Date:
    4 Jul 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    272.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    970px
    Height:
    690px
    Make:
    HP
    Model:
    HP pst_p02b
    Date / Time:
    2014:07:04 11:16: 9

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).