Join our zoo community
Moebelle

May. 2015 - Africa - Hippopotamus Exhibit Construction (June 2016)

Just a few months ago there was just a pile of trees and that dirt hill wasn't present.

May. 2015 - Africa - Hippopotamus Exhibit Construction (June 2016)
Moebelle, 4 May 2015
    • Moebelle
      Just a few months ago there was just a pile of trees and that dirt hill wasn't present. The exhibit will be about 9,000 sq ft. I am not sure it will open in June, however, because of the zoo's few previous exhibits that opened in June, I wouldn't doubt it.
    • bgeezle513
      Finally but the only thing that's bothering me is I think with the new plans for the park that sits between the meerkats and hippos is going to make the exhibit smaller
    • Moebelle
      Which is a dull idea to me, but I suspect it was for budgeting reasons.
    • Moebelle
      Here are the plans again, it's a nice concept but once again, not if you're going to have space for 3 hippos. Regardless, it still won't be the smallest hippo in the US, one that comes to mind is the Hippo Harbor in St. Louis, it is 3,000 sq ft with I believe 3 or 4 hippos and people don't seem to mind (I didn't either).
      http://cincinnatizoo.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/hippoplayarea.jpg
    • bgeezle513
      Thanks Moebelle
    • Zooplantman
      I do wonder what education message is delivered by a playground where children sit on hippos, right next to the hippo exhibit. "Gentle giants"? "Toys for Tots"?
    • Gulo gulo
      What a waste. I think they needed something to make kids stay in the Africa area because everything else is boring.

River's Edge is how old? This is 2015, you'd think Cincy would go above and beyond, nope. Toledo will still be far superior and that's older than Moebelle. At least the boy version. Not sure on the single Mother, though. :p
    • Moebelle
      Ducks falling into the lion exhibit, zero barrier between the lions and the hoofstock, most diverse mix of mammals with large birds I've ever seen, lion cubs, 10 wild dog pups that scatter the entire exhibit along with a very large interactive exhibit for meerkats.... Very... very boring indeed.
    • Moebelle
      And once again, how does an exhibit that will be 4,000 Sq ft less than this one (Toledo) get credit. This Cincy exhibit will be arguably the top largest hippo exhibit in the US.
    • bgeezle513
      Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that's how it should be but when you read some of these zoo chatters post you question their intelligence and that's a waste of a post just to say something negative
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden
    Uploaded By:
    Moebelle
    Date:
    4 May 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    421.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/6.0
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX L830
    Date / Time:
    2015:05:02 23:37:21
    Exposure Time:
    10/6400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 125
    Focal Length:
    4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).