Join our zoo community
FoxesAndFlowers

3/3/20 Onagers(?) at WWZ

Two (very friendly!) onagers hanging out in their dusty eyesore of an enclosure. Not entirely sure if they were labelled correctly, but they were signed as onagers.

3/3/20 Onagers(?) at WWZ
FoxesAndFlowers, 26 Aug 2020
    • ThylacineAlive
      Certainly a surprising, bizarre, and unusual addition for this glorified roadside zoo! I do wonder where they would have come from considering the SSP has been working very hard to coordinate their program.

I'm wondering if they're perhaps Kulan? Either surplus from Lion Country or from a private keeper. Seems a little more likely to me tbh.

~Thylo
    • MonkeyBat
      I couldn't find anything on these onagers were brought in. How in the world were they obtained?
    • drill
      @ThylacineAlive how can one tell the difference between a kulan and a onager. When I visited the now closed Wilson's Wild Animal Park in Virginia, they had a kulan so it's possible they got from there.
    • ThylacineAlive
      @drill Honestly, I don't know. I'd be willing to bet these are Kulan, though. Lion Country has apparently gone out of the species so animals are out there, somewhere.

~Thylo
    • drill
    • ThylacineAlive
      @drill I don't think so. I seem to recall Shadow Nursery having a couple left but they're closed and who knows what happened to those animals. These definitely are not Kiang, however.

Having shown the photo to @TeaLovingDave he seems confident they are Kulan.

~Thylo
    • TeaLovingDave
      Indeed - they look nothing like Kiang at all :p and are too dark and shaggy for Onager.
    • drill
      Has anyone tried emailing them about it?
    • FoxesAndFlowers
      Thank you all so much for the help! I’m definitely leaning more towards them being kulan now. Still might try emailing WWZ sometime soon to try and figure out where exactly they came from.
    • MonkeyBat
      I would like to add to this conversation that the zoo in press releases and on their website states them as onagers, but considering it's WWZ, there could defiantly be some misidentification.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    FoxesAndFlowers
    Date:
    26 Aug 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/1.8
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone XR
    Date / Time:
    2020:03:03 14:47:49
    Exposure Time:
    1/2208 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 25
    Focal Length:
    4.25 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).