Join our zoo community
Orycteropus

Lubetkin's Penguin Pool

This Listed Building currently works as a fountain.

Lubetkin's Penguin Pool
Orycteropus, 6 Apr 2009
    • Orycteropus
      This Listed Building currently works as a fountain next to the new Children's Zoo (Animal Adventure).
    • Dan
      As a big fan of modernistic architecture I absolutely love this building. At the same time I have understood that it was more or less worthless to the birds forced to live in it.

Using it as a fountain therefore sounds like very good idea!
    • Mike11
      Are there not any bird species that could happily thrive in it?
      Just wondering shame for it just to be a fountain - Then again it works well at least its not been left like some of the Dudley Tecton Archetecture
    • Dan
      I don´t know... but if it was possible to find some species that could thrieve in it, that would be great, of course. But it is such a small construction and the irony is that the number one priority for the modernistic architecture was to be functional and practical. Which this building so obviously is not!

Another irony is that the modernist architects claimed they couldn´t care less about esthetics, but often - in my opionion - ended up designing the most incredibly beautiful and elegant buildings (like this one)!
    • Mike11
      I agree they are some of the most amazing structures in any zoo! if you look at London,Dudley and only a tiny bit Whipsnade you find some magnificant Lubetkin designs.
    • Dan
      Whipsnade too? I did not know that. Will have to check it out. Thanks, Riziki!
    • CZJimmy
      The original elephant house (by the current lemur exhibit) is a Lubetkin design. As far as I know, it is currently unused, but there has been a sign up for at least 2 years saying that discussions have been held about it's future.
    • Mike11
      No worries Dan They dont have much they have the original elephant house which i will make sure i have a picture of when i go there on friday so i will put that in the gallery for you they may be one or two others but none i can remember from my visit last year.
      It is a shame that they all connot be looked after aswell as this ,such as the Dudley Bear ravine which is in a sad state of dis-reapair i wish it could come back to its old glory some day.
      Regards
    • Dan
      Thanks guys! That elephant house certainly looks very interesting as well. More pictures would be much appreciated!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL London Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Orycteropus
    Date:
    6 Apr 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    191.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    900px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S5600
    Date / Time:
    2009:04:03 16:44:48
    Exposure Time:
    10/4200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    6.9 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).