Join our zoo community
redpanda

RSCC

Photo taken at the RSCC, Kent

RSCC
redpanda, 11 Apr 2009
    • redpanda
      Pumas being taken to their day-time enclosure (at night, it is inhabited by a Clouded Leopard). Photo taken at the RSCC, Kent
    • reduakari
      Not just poorly designed, but operated unsafely as well. This just gets better and better.....
    • James27
      That's interesting, at least they get a change of scene and it uses their limited space well. Bet they enjoy the walk :)
    • snowleopard
      Do those big cats get walked through the zoo every day? Wow, that is intriguing. I've seen a large cougar on a leash at the Greater Vancouver Zoo, but that policy was soon shut down by animal bylaws.
    • James27
      That's their only way of getting to their daytime enclosure.
    • zoogiraffe
      Until you have visited a place how can you possibly say that,as for been unsafe with the Pumas been walked i`ve been there when this has been done and i felt more safe then,than when i was at Dartmoor Zoo looking at a Jaguar in its enclosure
    • redpanda
      Reduakari, please learn the facts before accusing, your negative attitude - on subjects which you know nothing about - is really starting to annoy me.

As we were some of the first visitors into the park, they were just demonstrating to a new keeper how to move the pair of (juvenile) puma from their night quarters to day area. As such, they had spent a little longer than normal so the puma were on the visitor pathway when we arrived. However, after we got in, it was around a minute before the puma were in their enclosure.

I don't mind criticism where it is well founded, but here it is not.
    • sooty mangabey
      How long have you been reading stuff on Zoo Beat / Chat? Surely you should know by now that not having seen what it is that you are commenting on is no hindrance to being able to express raking criticism, in the strongest of terms.
    • reduakari
      To which I would add that for some on this site having visited some of these places is apparently no hindrance to blithely accepting many questionable conditions and practices. Wild pumas kill several people a year in North America--walking one around on a leash amongst the public is simply asking for a tragedy. And if this is "the only way of getting to their daytime enclosure" it underscores the haphazard nature of this facility, evident in so many of the images and descriptions posted here.
    • snowleopard
      @sooty mangabey: do you want zoo fans to never offer up criticism of any zoos that they have not physically visited? Have you seen all of the photos that have received comments in the Kuwait Zoo gallery of ZooChat? I'm quite confident that only one or two individuals on this entire website have toured the Kuwait Zoo, and yet many people offered up their "two cents" worth of criticism when all of the exhibit photos came online. The same goes for the Jerusalem Biblical Zoo, another collection that has received many comments even though it is located in a part of the world where not many ZooChatters have ventured to. It is all part of the fun and enjoyment of this marvellous website.:)

I know that you believe that the RSCC does not deserve the criticism that it has received from numerous people, and yet it is important to realize that each individual on this site has their own opinion. There are always going to be people such as yourself who see nothing wrong with the relatively bare puma/clouded leopard exhibit at the RSCC, or the atrocious carnivore house at the Berlin Tierpark. At the same time there are just as many individuals (if not more!) who would like to take a bulldozer to those particular enclosures. The photo gallery here on ZooChat is an extraordinary resource, and it would be a shame if everyone here on this site only made comments on zoos that they had physically strolled through. I'd estimate that 90% of the participants of this site have made comments on photos in a zoo that they have never been to...and that's one of the great things about ZooChat.:)
      PossumRoach likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Rare Species Conservation Centre
    Uploaded By:
    redpanda
    Date:
    11 Apr 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    283.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1198px
    Aperture:
    f/4.8
    Make:
    EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Model:
    KODAK DX4530 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
    Date / Time:
    2008:11:19 08:48:49
    Exposure Time:
    1/500 sec
    Focal Length:
    8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).