Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

pool and waterfall GONE

July 10, 2018. Former warty pig and former Asian bear, used to have a waterfall and a large pool in front. Now housed East African crowned crane.

pool and waterfall GONE
Arizona Docent, 10 Jul 2018
    • nczoofan
      Wells that's a dissapointing choice, given the fact that east-african crowned crane mix well with many hoofstock species. Anyways, has the zoo made any progress towards the projects laid out in the bond?
    • Arizona Docent
      In fact the crowned cranes were mixed with the zebras for years and years. I don't know why they were moved here or why the pool was filled in, but yes it is a disappointing choice.

Supposedly the first batch of money from the new sales tax (not a bond issue) will be available to the zoo this month. The ZooChatter that I toured the zoo with today and I ran into a zoo staff person who said two of the first projects will likely be a tamarin/marmoset exhibit in the former cafe in South America (now called Tropics Trail) and ......... well now I forgot what the second project is (darn I am getting old).
      nczoofan likes this.
    • nczoofan
      @Arizona Docent Will the zoo being throwing out zoo-geographic sections or keeping them? Because previously it always seemed like they had a pretty great south american and African collection. Especially compared to their size.
    • Arizona Docent
      Wait I remembered what the second immediate project is. It will be to move the Chilean flamingos from the back of the zoo to the front.
      nczoofan likes this.
    • Arizona Docent
      Yes they are throwing out the geographic theming. When I visited last time (I forgot to pick up a map today) I noticed the geographic references "Asia, Africa, South America" had been removed from the map. Only the elephant exhibit still had the geographic reference "Expedition Tanzania." The South America loop has been renamed Tropic Trail (a move made when a pair of red pandas were temporarily exhibited there).
    • nczoofan
      Tropics trail starring the non-tropical red panda. Well thats an interesting choice, going against the trend of most zoos. I wonder if they will have any themes for the areas of the zoo. But given that decision the zoo really could of picked any species for this section and they chose lemurs, american alligators and crowned crane.
    • birdsandbats
      @nczoofan RPZ isn't the first US zoo to have Red Pandas in an exhibit called "Tropics Trail" and probably won't be the last.
      nczoofan likes this.
    • nczoofan
      @birdsandbats That zoo can easily hold red panda's outdoors year round. Which is why it confuses me that they are held inside an indoor rainforest.
    • Arizona Docent
      They were not inside. The Tropics Trail (former South America) is entirely outdoors.
    • Jake
      Tapir would look good here
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Reid Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    10 Jul 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    622 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    533px
    Height:
    800px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS M
    Date / Time:
    2018:07:10 10:16:10
    Exposure Time:
    1/800 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    22 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).