Join our zoo community
TinoPup

New Humbolt Penguin exhibit

The polar bear enclosure was covered for the penguins. They have both the large pool and the upper area, by the covered viewing spot. They were being fed.

New Humbolt Penguin exhibit
TinoPup, 21 Sep 2018
Coelacanth18 likes this.
    • nczoofan
      Seems really nice. Definitely can hold a lot of the birds, although they seem so small given its size.
      TinoPup likes this.
    • TinoPup
      @nczoofan I'm amazed at what they did with it, in such little time as well. I know what you mean about size, the rock on the left in particular dwarfs them, but they can go around and on top of it. I assume they'll let their colony grow in size a bit now that they have so much room to play and swim.
    • Zooplantman
      I believe you mean "converted" rather than "covered." Yes?
      TinoPup likes this.
    • StoppableSan
      @TinoPup Didn't they have a sign that said that they were exploring bringing polar bears back to the Zoo? (And by exploring, that might be a euphemism for "this is the permanent outcome that will never change". I'd be happy to be proven wrong.)
      TinoPup likes this.
    • TinoPup
      @Wyman Yes, hit the right arrow to see the previous photo ;) I think it would be at least a decade, since as the sign indicates, there's none needing homes and they can't be imported. Several zoos have recently converted polar bear exhibits for other species on the passing of their old bears. I, personally, haven't seen one in years, other than Coldilocks at Philly, who was usually napping in the far back of her exhibit and not very visible.
    • StoppableSan
      @TinoPup it's a good thing they made minimal modifications to the old polar bear facility in case they would like to convert back. All they added was a path into the exhibit and some nesting burrows. What I would like to see would be the rockwork redone as well as a Bear 360Trail.
      TinoPup likes this.
    • TinoPup
      @Wyman Do you know if they're going to be sticking with keeping bears?
    • StoppableSan
      @TinoPup Definitely Sloth and Andean bears. Not sure about Polar bears within the decade.
      TinoPup likes this.
    • TinoPup
      @Wyman Good to know! I actually saw the sloth bear for once on this visit, but barely, with the long grass. I'd really like something that makes them slightly easier to see.
    • StoppableSan
      @TinoPup To be fair, the long grass gives the exhibit its charm. It really looks like an Indian deciduous forest. The only improvements I'd suggest would be to add a glass viewing area as well as a mock termite-mound. I would also add more realistic climbing structures and maybe even a mixed-species opportunity with axis deer.
      TinoPup likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Philadelphia Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    TinoPup
    Date:
    21 Sep 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    2268px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).