Join our zoo community
ThylacineAlive

Elliot's Pheasant

Elliot's Pheasant
ThylacineAlive, 6 Nov 2018
    • Mehdi
      Female Black francolin, maybe?
    • vogelcommando
      Almost 100 % sure its a female Reeves pheasant :). ( will upload a picture of a female Black francoline in a few minutes in the Landgoed Hoenderdael- Gallery - the Netherlands ).
    • ThylacineAlive
      @vogelcommando I agree it doesn't look right for Black Francolin but I had someone check and Berlin Zoo has no Reeves's Pheasants either, only 1.1 at Tierpark.

~Thylo
    • Andrew Swales
      @ThylacineAlive

That is probably because it is actually a Hume's Bar-tail Pleasant...
    • ShonenJake13
      I believe it is indeed a Syrmaticus bird as @Andrew Swales says, but if it is it’ll be one of the 1.2 Elliot’s pheasant currently kept at Berlin Zoo, as on my visit a month or so ago they didn’t keep any Hume’s or Reeves’ pheasants...
    • ThylacineAlive
      @ShonenJake13 Looking at photos of female Hume's vs Elliot's Pheasants I would agree this is one of the female Elliot's.

Thanks everyone, glad we finally figured it out :p

~Thylo
    • Andrew Swales
      @ThylacineAlive

Indeed Hume's and Elliot's females are very similar. The short chestnut tail with white tips is a characteristic of the Hume's, and the female Elliot's has a distinct solid black throat which is missing on this specimen. These two species have been widely hybridised.
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Andrew Swales Yeah the seemingly missing black throat is what threw me off of the Elliot's ID at first but I found other photos of Berlin's animals and they do have it so I suspect my photo is just a bad angle. Quite possible this female is a misidentified hybrid, though.

~Thylo
    • Andrew Swales
      @ThylacineAlive

It is also very 'rounded' and short-legged for an Elliot's - but that also maybe the pose, I guess. In the past (more than 20 years now) we bred all five species (and two sub-species) of Syrmaticus, and I don't think we would have used this one!
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Andrew Swales The zoo's breeding and collection record is absolutely fantastic, not to mention how it's changed over time (fowl, lemurs, now marsupials). You've probably heard this here before but thank you for running such a special place, I find myself itching to revisit every time I pop over to the UK.

~Thylo
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Berlin Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    ThylacineAlive
    Date:
    6 Nov 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    6.8 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/7.1
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T5
    Date / Time:
    2017:09:04 08:00:21
    Exposure Time:
    1/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 3200
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).