Join our zoo community
ZooGirlSD

Ornate Hawk Eagle

The Eagle Trail is now open after having been closed for renovations for a long time! I think this guy was happy to have some visitors to greet!

Ornate Hawk Eagle
ZooGirlSD, 4 Dec 2018
    • Jambo
      Great photo @ZooGirlSD ! The eagle’s pose is marvellous.
      ZooGirlSD likes this.
    • Terry Thomas
      Very nice photo.
      ZooGirlSD likes this.
    • Newzooboy
      Very nice indeed. Where are these kept in the zoo....I think I may have missed them?
      ZooGirlSD likes this.
    • Zoological Point
      What other species are in Eagle Trail?
    • ZooGirlSD
      @Newzooboy They are on Eagle Trail- the entrance is acrosss from the Asian Cats down in the canyon and curves up the hill toward the Polar Bears. But it’s only recently been reopened after years of being closed for renovations. So unless you were there in the past couple of days, you wouldve missed it.
      Jambo likes this.
    • ZooGirlSD
      @Zoological Point As of yesterday, the species on exhibit were Harpy Eagle, Ornate Hawk Eagle, and Steller’s Sea Eagle. Andean Condor is expected to join their ranks soon.
    • Jambo
      Thanks for the Information @ZooGirlSD , though I didn’t ask the questions :cool:
      ZooGirlSD likes this.
    • Newzooboy
      Thank you......

I was there Thursday and Friday last week so only just missed it!! I walked past and photographed the complex but it still had the 'closed for renovation' signs up. I did think it looked complete!!

Oh well......next time.......
      ZooGirlSD likes this.
    • ThylacineAlive
      One of only two zoos exhibiting this species. The other is DWA, and then at least one other zoo has them behind the scenes.

How many individuals does the zoo have? I don't think the population is viable unfortunately.

~Thylo
      snowleopard likes this.
    • ZooGirlSD
      @ThylacineAlive That’s pretty neat- I didn’t know it was such a rare species in zoos! Is that for zoos in the U.S. or are there only two zoos exhibiting them worldwide?

I’m not sure on the number of individuals. I only saw this one, but s/he was really keeping my focus and I didn’t look hard to see if there was another. The aviaries on Eagle Trail are fairly large, so it might not have been obvious if there was.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Diego Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    ZooGirlSD
    Date:
    4 Dec 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2656px
    Height:
    3194px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6s
    Date / Time:
    2018:12:03 15:21:39
    Exposure Time:
    1/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    250 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).