Join our zoo community
washaw

Elephant Odyssey - Opening Day

It is finally open, today we got to see the $45 million Elephant Odyssey exhibit at the San Diego Zoo.

Elephant Odyssey - Opening Day
washaw, 24 May 2009
    • washaw
      It is finally open, today we got to see the $45 million Elephant Odyssey exhibit at the San Diego Zoo.
    • dragon(ele)nerd
      I must see this master piece of a exhibit one day, something that is epic.
    • reduakari
      That's a joke, right?

This place looks like an industrial oil drilling site--wildly disappointing
    • Yassa
      @ dragon: you have not seen more then a few pictures of this enclosures (if at all), how can you know this is a "masterpiece"??
    • BlackRhino
      I agree. From what I have seen the new elephant exhibit looks like one of the best!
    • Toddy
      And I thought the one we have in Copenhagen Zoo was ugly. But this is worse! So much metal and ugly tiles. Looks like a radar-station in the desert:eek:

I would like to see some more photoes of this new exhibit and hopefully be persuaded otherwise, as I really don't like what I'm seeing here!
    • snowleopard
      I prefer the naturalistic approach, just like the North Carolina Zoo's exhibit:

http://www.zoochat.com/590/p5030014-80593/

Elephant Odyssey in San Diego looks much better than the outdated Elephant Mesa enclosure, but in a few years time it will be around the 25th largest pachyderm exhibit in North America and probably the 50th most naturalistic. I expect more from my all-time favourite zoo. Having said that, I'll wait until I eventually visit to really judge the entire area, but I'm finding that often a series of well-taken photos give a pretty good indication of what to expect at a zoo. I'm quite curious to see the lion, jaguar, etc, exhibits in Elephant Odyssey as well.
    • BlackRhino
      I prefer the exhibit that is better for the animals, and the elephant exhibit wasn't intending to look like an Asian rain forest. It was more being designed to give the elephants many enriching opportunities, rather than look naturalistic.

I have heard the jaguar exhibit will be really nice, as it is suppose to resemble a wetland according to some of the articles I read. It will also have live trout for the jaguars to hunt.
    • dragon(ele)nerd
      I wasn't specifically refering to this photo. Yes Yassa I have only seen a number of photos and the map lay out. I'm just saying it from where I stand.
    • PAT
      From the website I got the impression that there were going to be plants growing out the top of those big metal trees for the elephants to eat off. Is that actually going to happen and has it yet?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Diego Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    washaw
    Date:
    24 May 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: