Join our zoo community
taun

Twycross Zoo - Western Lowland Gorilla

2009-06-29 - Western Lowland Gorilla Asante?

Twycross Zoo - Western Lowland Gorilla
taun, 30 Jun 2009
    • taun
      2009-06-29 - Western Lowland Gorilla

Asante?
    • Pertinax
      yes. 'pretty' face and reddish crown.
    • mr primatology
      it upsets me that oumbi is abusing her
    • taun
      Its part of what makes gorilla's gorillas! Asante is the one who actually has the problem by not submitting to the new male and is currently being awkward with the new boss. Although Oumbie does need to learn some manners with the females but this will come in time.
    • tomzoo123
      Yeah its what makes a gorilla a gorilla. a dominant male and she is failing to recognise this and is resiting this unlike ozala who has bred with oumbi. Does anyone know if they are still mating btw and if so any news of any possible pregnencies?
    • Pertinax

While mother raised Ozala is perfectly normal and is obviously attracted to Oumbie, Asante just tries to avoid him. This was evident from their early introduction- Ozala followed him around, Asante pretended he wasn't there... I don't think its a situation that will change, though they may be swapping Asante into the other group soon.
    • Bwindi
      I've been out of touch on this site for a while - I heard Oumbie and Boulas were going to Twycross - after all the changes/losses, I'm sure Asante is indeed upset ... and as you've mentioned, her upbringing only adds to this. Has she ever bred? Who else is at Twycross these days - what are the group structures? Last time I was there was in 2006 with Ti and Joe and Asante was Asante, very happy to spend time with people.
    • taun
      Hi,

As of breeding am not 100% but Pertinax will know and am sure will fill you in. :D

Twycross groups were

Boulas, Biddy & Bongo

Oumbie, Asante & Ozzla

However Asante was mentioned on here to be moved across to the other group. Hope this helps.
    • Bwindi
      Twycross Gorilla Groups

I thought Bongo died in 2005?? What about Ti and Ozala's son, Matadi, who's about 7 years old, if I remember right? Here's who I thought was there (altho I don't know how the 3.3 are grouped):
      1. Biddy
      2. Ozala
      3. Oumbie
      4. Boulas
      5. Matadi
      6. Asante

It seems getting the young male in with Oumbie or Boulas is important - unless Matadi's been transfered out somewhere?? Jane
    • taun
      Hi Jane,

Matadi moved to Paignton zoo (A batchelor group) earlier this year due to problems introducing him to Oumbie. He did have a short stay with Biddy and Bongo before his move.

Bongo is very much alive, I don't have information with me on who passed away back in 2005 (but I believe it was maybe one of the old males???).

So basically if you swap Matadi for bongo you have your 6 gorillas (2.4), who were in the groupings I posted above (there may have been some changes but I hope to confirm that after a visit sometime this week).

Regards
      Taun
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Twycross Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    taun
    Date:
    30 Jun 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    242.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    PENTAX
    Model:
    PENTAX K-m
    Date / Time:
    2009:06:29 11:38:23
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    42.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).