Join our zoo community
KevinB

Russian saiga (Saiga tatarica tatarica), 2008-06-28

The one and only time I ever saw saiga (and probably ever will). Picture not the greatest given my skills of the time. The last individual at Cologne died in October of 2009. According to ZTL currently only Almaty in Kazachstan and Askania-Nova in Ukraine keep captive saiga.

Russian saiga (Saiga tatarica tatarica), 2008-06-28
KevinB, 29 Jan 2021
    • Rayane
      The ones kept in Ukraine live semi-wild, ZTL lists 563 Saigas there in 2019, must be a really impressive group.
      KevinB likes this.
    • Kakapo
      Whaaaaat? Saiga in Cologne until 2019?? I visited Cologne in 2017 and I'm pretty sure no saiga left by then... if there was a saiga in the zoo during my visit and I missed it, then I will die of a heart attack! :p
    • Rayane
      No worries, it died in 2009 not in 2019.
    • KevinB
      @Kakapo
      I am super, super sorry, I made a terrible mistake and wrote 2019 instead of 2009 as I full well knew it should be, and also failed to notice and correct it.

I apologize, I have had a rough week and a very rough day, but that does not excuse this kind of stupid mistake and lack of care and I probably shouldn't have been posting this to begin with. I'll have to try to be a bit more thoughtful and careful about posting things.
      Rayane likes this.
    • Zoofan15
      @KevinB It’s no big deal. We all make the occasional mistake (even me).
      KevinB likes this.
    • Kakapo
      Hey, Kevin, your apologizes are too big for such a tiny mistake! :D Just a short explanation like the one of Rayane would have been perfect instead :)
      I just was shocked about the possibility of being kept, maybe, behind the scenes but being unaware of its presence during my visit to the zoo. Much better now!

P. S. The picture can't be greater despite what you said!
    • KevinB
      @Zoofan15 @Kakapo Thank you both for the understanding. @Kakapo Thank you for your appreciation of the picture. Photographically it is not perfect judging by my current standard but I'm very happy to have it. Your comment and the number of likes are much appreciated.

I had a really crappy day yesterday (and the day before) where the mistakes on and off-line just seemed to keep on piling up, so it's understandable I made this one. But I will nonetheless try to be more diligent with proof-reading (an issue I admit I have had for a long time). I am also going to try and find some much needed rest and relaxation this weekend.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cologne Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    KevinB
    Date:
    29 Jan 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    895px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-500
    Date / Time:
    2008:06:28 11:35:24
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    150 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).