Join our zoo community
CMP

North America Complex

(Rock park zoo) Large North American complex with many species of North American Animals, from fish to birds, big and small

North America Complex
CMP, 10 Mar 2021
    • CMP
      North America
      1. Pinniped pools (3 large pools, animals rotate)
      -Grey seal (m), Californian Sea Lion (m), Walrus (m)
      2.Great Bear Ridge (See the biggest bear of them all- the great polar bear, in this tundra exhibit across from their prey- seals! The bears have 2 large pools, as well as a naturalistic setup, similar to St.Louis's. There is also an underwater viewing area)
      -Polar Bear (m)
      3. Otters
      -North American River Otters (m)
      4. Beaver pool (Large beaver den and pool with viewing areas, along with a large land area)
      -North American Beaver (m), American Porcupine (m), Blue Catfish (f)
      5. Forest Cabin (Go through a themed forest cabin similar to a bass pro shop, with many exhibits for North American animals. There is also indoor viewing for the Grizzly and Polar bears)
      -Hellbender (a)
      -Northern leopard frog (a), Green frog (a)
      -Eastern Ratsnake (r), Red Bellied Water Snake (r)
      -Longear sunfish (f), Bluespotted sunfish (f), Pumpkinseed sunfish (f)
      -Yellow blotched map turtle (r)
      -Cornsnake (r)
      -American Alligator (r), Common snapping turtle (r) (They have outdoor area as well)
      -Hermit thrush (b), Grey catbird (b), Wood duck (b), eastern box turtle (f) (Aviary with sunroof)
      -Brook trout (f), Rainbow trout (f)
      -Logperch (f), Central mudminnow (f), Bluntnose minnow (f), Emerald shiner (f)
      -Red crawfish (i), Predaceous diving beetle (i), Giant water scavenger beetle (i)
      -Southern painted turtle(r), chicken turtle(r), green tree frog (a), Redspotted sunfish (f)
      -White-throated woodrat (m)
      6. Grizzly Falls (Enjoy indoor and outdoor viewing of the rescued grizzly bears)
      -Grizzly bear (m)
      7. Wolf Lodge (Indoor viewing of some of the most endangered carnivores-Wolfs, as well as some other creatures indoors and in the aviary)
      -Red Wolf (m)
      -Northern Walking stick (i)
      -Marbled salamander (a)
      -Great egret (b), Northern flicker (b), pied-billed grebe (b), green heron (b), hooded merganser (b), blue-winged teal (b), Redhead (b) (in a large aviary between the wolf lodge and grizzly falls viewing building)
      8. Mexican wolf outpost (View Mexican grey wolves as well as some other southwest animals indoors)
      -Mexican grey wolf (m)
      -Western Cone-nosed bug (i)
      -Bark scorpion (i)
      -Giant crab spider (olios giganteus) (i)
      -Tiger rattlesnake (r)
      -Desert millipede (i)
      9. Bison Prairie
      -American Bison (m)
      10. Desert and Prairie house (Building for animals of the American prairies, Bison viewing)
      -Black tailed prairie dog (m), Black footed ferret (m) (Rotating/interconnected exhibits that also have an outdoor area)
      -Stripe-tailed scorpion (i)
      -Tailless whip scorpion (i)
      - Gopher snake (r)
      - Sonoran whipsnake (r)
      - Western banded gecko (r)
      - Elf owl (b)
      -Greater roadrunner (b), Desert cottontail rabbit (m), Burrowing owl (b) (has Outdoor habitat as well)
      -Collared Peccary (m) (Outdoors)
      11. Panthers (Interconnected exhibits for the America's biggest cats, also viewable from trail of the Jaguar)
      -Mountain lion/puma/cougar (m)
      -Jaguar (m)
      12. Forest trails (North american animals in outdoor exhibits along a boardwalk)
      -Bald eagle (b)
      -American martin (m) (Indoor exhibit in the Small Mammals House)
      -Wolverine (m)
      -Canadian lynx (m)
      -Wild turkey (b)
      13. Forest clearing
      - American Badger (m)
      - Striped skunk (m), Sandhill crane (b)
      - Dall sheep (m)
      -Chukar (b), Ruffed grouse (b)
      - Ring-Necked pheasant (b)

24 mammal, 19 bird, 12 reptile, 5 amphibian, 12 fish, and 10 invertebrate species
      82 species total in this world class exhibit, which would probably be one of the most comprehensive North American collections, with less of a focus on ABCs but still including Bears, Bison, Jaguars, Prairie dogs, Otters, and Seals

The zoo totals 37 mammals, 21 bird, 42 reptile, 24 amphibian, 14 fish, and 69 invertebrate, bringing us to 206 total species so far! The ratio is a little wonky, but mostly its because of the types of exhibits we covered so far (Insectarium, reptile houses). This zoo is going to have a high number of species, maybe Omaha level, because there is still the aquarium, tropical terrarium, world of birds, and a number of other species rich exhibits left. Also a LOT more mammals coming with the Small Mammal House ;)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Fantasy Zoos
    Uploaded By:
    CMP
    Date:
    10 Mar 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count: