Join our zoo community
Tim May

Indian rhinoceros; Whipsnade; 20th June 2009

Indian rhinoceros; Whipsnade; 20th June 2009
Tim May, 7 Aug 2009
    • Pertinax
      I can see this is the bull 'Hugo' and he is back in the old Paddock and yards. Do you know why? Is it because the new house has only two paddocks? And have they renovated/ improved the access slope to the indoor pools in the new house yet?
    • taun
      Does Sad Deigo keep there bull in with the breeding females?

I always thought that the bulls are quite docile when it comes to breeding cows and calves? :confused:
    • Pertinax
      I think at Whipsnade possibly because both females have calves, they may have been a bit hostile toward the new male -whom they haven't known long- and as there are only two paddocks(at present) so for all three adults to have a paddock each, somebody still has to live in the old area. That is only a guess- it seems a bit odd as the website news said the male was the one who would use the indoor pools in the new House, not the females. I'm really not sure what's going on at present.:confused:
    • Pertinax
      I think at Whipsnade possibly because both females have calves, they may have been a bit hostile toward the new male -whom they haven't known long- and as there are only two paddocks(at present) so for all three adults to have a paddock each, somebody still has to live in the old area. That is only a guess- it seems a bit odd as the website news said the male was the one who would use the indoor pools in the new House, not the females. When I went last year, the bull was in the new House alone- the females & calves were still in the old area. Now it seems to be the reverse way around. I'm really not sure what's going on at present.:confused:
    • taun
      Yeah, didn't realise he was a newish male.
    • Tim May
      Yes, as you say, the male is in the old Indian rhino accommodation. I assume that this is because there are only two outdoor paddocks for the new house.

I have never seen the Indian rhinos using the indoor pools in the new house on any of my Whipsnade visits.

I’ll probably be visiting Whipsnade again shortly and I’ll try to find out more next time.
    • Pertinax
      Thankyou. On the website it stated the bull 'Hugo' was 'setting an example' to the females by using the indoor pools and that the keepers were trying to entice the females in by putting food in the water. On this forum it was hinted somewhere they may not like the access slope hence the reluctance to go in- they wallow freely outside. Also they have never had access to indoor bathing before so its no doubt a new habit to acquire.

Then earlier this year it seemed the indoor moats were drained for a while. Update?
    • phoenix
      magnificent.

a good photo of an indian rhino never fails to impress me. easily my favorite rhinos - so glad we finally have a pair in australia!
    • PAT
      Are they together yet or is the female still in quaruntine?
    • MARK
      Both are at the same zoo
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Tim May
    Date:
    7 Aug 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: