Join our zoo community
geomorph

Jungle Trails - Orangutan and Gibbon Exhibit

Jungle Trails - Orangutan and Gibbon Exhibit
geomorph, 5 Oct 2009
    • animalman0341
      Really nice exhibit, but it's just lacking more climbing structures.
      :)
    • Moebelle
      I'm sorry people for continuing to comment on the orangutan exhibits but I had to say something. This amazing exhibit doesn't climbing structures, there is more vines and branches that continue on to the left for about another 30 feet
    • Toddy
      In orang-utan exhibits it is about the density of climbing structures, not the total number of them. Even with a few more logs and vines this doesn't seem to be very dense.
    • Moebelle
      doesn't matter, she rarely climbs anyways.
    • Toddy
      Maybe that has something to do with the scarcity and poor quality of the climbing structures in the exhibit? I realize that I cannot see the whole exhibit here but I am just commenting on what I can see and what seems to be a general (and unfortunate) trend in orang-utan exhibits.
      Grant likes this.
    • Zooplantman
      Certainly compared to Chester or Woodland Park Zoo this exhibit lacks climbing opportunities. Chester -- among others -- has shown us what can be possible for orangs and what they can do given the opportunity.
    • Moebelle
      Then stop saying negative things about a wonderful exhibit, and it doesn't just have branches and vines going the left I forgot to mention it also has two large trees like the one shown in this pic. Also the indoor exhibit is just full of many large branches that fill and go across the whole exhibit.
    • gerenuk
      Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it disagrees with yours. His comment stems from the fact that orangutans, by nature, are arboreal animals. Because of poor exhibit design over many decades, today's orangutans often do not exhibit their natural behaviors. Today's zoo animals often lack strength/skill because their enclosures do not promote what can be considered essential natural behaviors.

Even though Cincinnati Zoo's orangutan exhibit looks really good - it does not provide for a complete arboreal lifestyle.
    • Toddy
      Exactly! I would also like to throw Apenheul's exhibit in to that pot. It was created specifically with the intent that the orangs should live as arboreal as possible.

I have just done some research on this exhibit including the other shot you have posted, and I am sorry but I just don't see any additional climbing structures? If you wish to debate further, I would highly appreciate you posting a photo that would prove me wrong. I would love to see this exhibit being better than it seems. While the exhibit does look nice and green it simply does not seem to cater for an arboreal species. And are you telling me that these orangs have LIVE trees accessible?

Spot on. My frustration with exhibits like these is that orang-utans are mainly arboreal and so few exhibits seem to incorporate this in their design.
      Grant likes this.
    • Moebelle
      I still can't believe your saying such awful things about this exhibit, I didn't say live trees? And for the Apenheul's exhibit, good for them, is it the Cincy zoo's? again no. I would rate this the 3rd greatest exhibit at the zoo and there are more great exhibits than not

This is the indoor exhibit
      http://www.zoochat.com/556/jungle-trails-part-white-handed-gibbon-221115/
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    5 Oct 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: