Join our zoo community
Milwaukee Man

8/13/2015 - Hammerhead Shark (Exact Species?)

Taken in the underwater tunnel of the reef tank.

8/13/2015 - Hammerhead Shark (Exact Species?)
Milwaukee Man, 29 Aug 2015
    • Milwaukee Man
      Taken in the underwater tunnel of the reef tank.
    • devilfish
      Tough to tell from these photos - was it very small?
    • Milwaukee Man
      Apologies - it was moving too fast! Anyway, the hammerhead was roughly four or five feet long. All I know is that it wasn't the other species on display at the aquarium, the scalloped - those were found in the Shipwreck area.

Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: After searching some more on the internet, I have found that they are bonnethead sharks.
    • devilfish
      Bonnethead if closer to 3 feet; if much bigger then I'd guess small scalloped hammerheads. Looks quite slender though, so I think bonnethead is most likely.

EDIT: just seen your edit.
    • Loxodonta Cobra
      This place used to have a great hammerhead shark(Sphyrna mokarran), but it died in 2004.
    • snowleopard
      I just visited this facility earlier this month and here are the 20 species in the tank (according to the revolving touch screen sign): Scalloped Hammerhead Shark (one of only 3 aquariums in the U.S. with the species), Sand Tiger Shark, Sandbar Shark, Galapagos Shark, Nurse Shark, Grey Reef Shark, Whitetip Reef Shark, Zebra Shark, Green Sawfish, Bowmouth Guitarfish, Green Sea Turtle, Green Moray Eel, Southern Stingray, Tarpon, Fiji Devil Damsel, Lookdown Fish, Crevalle Jack, Giant Trevally, Blue Runner Jack and Creole Fish.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay
    Uploaded By:
    Milwaukee Man
    Date:
    29 Aug 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    177.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.6
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX S9600
    Date / Time:
    2015:08:13 16:37:32
    Exposure Time:
    10/25 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    10.4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).