Paradoxurus

A blast from the past

Animal surplus list from October 1978.

A blast from the past
Paradoxurus, 19 Jun 2013
    • Paradoxurus
      Animal surplus list from October 1978.
    • Chlidonias
      nice. In today's rates, the tiger would be £1500, the binturongs £1300 each, the sealion £5600, the donkey £180, the caimans £890 each, the guanacos £1900 a pair, and the sooty mangabeys £640 a pair.
    • Paradoxurus
      I suppose those prices give an indication of the scarcity of some of these animals then. I can't imagine anyone prepared to shell out that much for the guanacos today - the mangabeys would be a snip though.
    • Chlidonias
    • vogelcommando
      Great piece of history !
    • Paradoxurus
      Just for comparison...
    • Chlidonias
      £40 for a puma on the Chester list, as opposed to £1500 for Colchester's tiger or £200 for Jersey's serval. Makes it obvious why all those little home-run zoos round England in the 70s had pumas!
    • Paradoxurus
      Which is ironic considering that, about ten years ago, the species was on the brink of disappearing from British collections altogether (I think we were probably down to about five individuals at Shepreth, Gentleshaw, Dartmoor and Santago). It seems interest has picked up again, fortunately.
    • stubeanz
      Wow! Where did you come across these? I would love to get my hands on any old surplus lists, so much history in them!
    • FBBird
      Paradoxurus -- any chance of you posting these lists in a format that I can read please? I would love to see detail
      Anyone else -- Animal Life magazine some 50 years ago used to regularly advertise Hartmann Mountain Zebras direct from South Africa at £200 each.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Colchester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Paradoxurus
    Date:
    19 Jun 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    149.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1337px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2009:02:24 20:36:01
    Exposure Time:
    10/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).