Animalchap

A new hope for abidjan zoo

latest from Abidjan Zoo - improvements being made

A new hope for abidjan zoo
Animalchap, 11 Dec 2012
    • Animalchap
      latest from Abidjan Zoo - improvements being made
    • dean
      It's good to see they are improving the conditions for the animals, Animalchap, Could you tell us what are in the improved enclosures and what if anything has yet happend for the chimps?
      thanks
      dean
    • Animalchap
      abidjan zoo

we are gradually working around the enclosures moving animals around in to the best suited enclosures. there is not much money, but working on providing enrichment for the animals. the chimps are still there 16 of them some in a very large enclosure, just waiting for some funds to build a holding area where we can introduce them to a very large enclosure. they now have tyres to play with , daily branches and a good diet, but the enclosures are stil not great, and this is what we are working on in January. there is no chimp sanctuary in ivory coast so all wildlife trade, privately owned and confiscated animals go to the zoo - so i am also working on setting up a sanctuary
      zeynep likes this.
    • dean
      Thanks for the update Animalchap it sounds better already, keep us posted on the progress of both the zoo and the sanctuary if you have time.
      Dean.
      zeynep likes this.
    • gentle lemur
      I remember these cages (or one just like them) from my visit to Abidjan in 1975. I think one of them held golden jackals.
      Good luck with your project.

Alan
      zeynep likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Abidjan Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Animalchap
    Date:
    11 Dec 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: