Join our zoo community
pachyderm pro

Adventure Africa Construction - African Elephant Exhibit Full view

Adventure Africa Construction - African Elephant Exhibit Full view
    • nczoofan
      Surely a more minimalistic exhibit compared to others, yet perfectly functional and seems to have great enrichment opportunities.
      StoppableSan likes this.
    • snowleopard
      How large are the barns in terms of square footage? Milwaukee has harsh winters and the elephants will probably spend many weeks inside.
    • Moebelle
      @snowleopard I visited the zoo quite often for nearly a year - visits on days that brought unbearable cold. Only once did I ever see the elephants inside, and that was for a medical examination. After measuring the barn online, the square footage came out to be 20,000 square feet. After further research, the zoo's website confirms that it is in fact 20,000 square feet.
    • pachyderm pro
      @snowleopard The elephant care center is listed as being around 20,000 square feet on the zoos website, though the main day room I remember being only around 5,000 square feet. However parts of the main yard are heated so even in the winter the animals will be allowed access to the outdoors.

EDIT: Cross posted with @Moebelle
    • snowleopard
      That is very interesting @Moebelle , as I would have guessed that the zoo's elephants would have hung around indoors during inclement weather. It is great news if they are brave enough to venture outside even during winter.
      StoppableSan likes this.
    • MKE Zoo guy
      @snowleopard I believe that once the temperature drops below a specific temp they are no longer allowed out. They do however keep the barns much cooler so that when they do let them out there isn't a temperature shock. That was with the old barn, I am not sure what the new barn if they will keep it in the temperature cool for the winter months or not again. Time will tell.
      snowleopard likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Milwaukee County Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    pachyderm pro
    Date:
    4 Nov 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2592px
    Height:
    1728px
    Aperture:
    f/10.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    Date / Time:
    2000:01:01 00:09:37
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).