Join our zoo community
lintworm

Africa house - African elephant indoors

Currently holds 3 females

Africa house - African elephant indoors
    • nczoofan
      Wow that looks pretty amazing. They really found a way to improve the indoor exhibit significantly while not enlarging the overall building. Just wish they had a larger outdoor exhibit to match this.
    • DelacoursLangur
      @nczoofan Agreed, a fantastic indoor exhibit. The only way I can imagine an outdoor expansion is if they expanded the perimeter of the zoo into the park behind it, the zoo borders follow the Kaitzbach creek for all but a small area behind the elephants so it would be a logical expansion. If you look on google maps their also seems to be access to a second large barn behind the scenes, although this may be multipurpose. Far too many northern climate zoos focus on a large outdoor yard rather than indoors where elephants spend much of the year, so I much rather prefer Dresden's prioritization if made to choose.
    • lintworm
      I was very impressed as well, like many Elephant houses of the 90ies it hadn't aged particularly well, but with this renovation it is once again among the top indoor elephant complexes in Europe, at least for the small group they currently have.
      nczoofan likes this.
    • Elephantelephant
      Great! Really one of the best elephant houses in Germany! Just enlarge the elephant yard and it is without error. Now just hope the cows get pregnant. They have already been covered several times by Tembo, but so far it is expected which one will conceive.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Dresden
    Uploaded By:
    lintworm
    Date:
    18 Sep 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    16.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    6000px
    Height:
    4000px
    Aperture:
    f/7.1
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7200
    Date / Time:
    2019:09:15 07:28:41
    Exposure Time:
    10/10000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 3200
    Focal Length:
    8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).