Join our zoo community
gentle lemur

African golden cat 1974

Small Mammal House, Artis, 18th July 1974. Scanned from a Kodachrome slide.

African golden cat 1974
    • gentle lemur
      Small Mammal House, Artis, 18th July 1974. Scanned from a Kodachrome slide.
      Note: there is an error in the caption, I don't know whether this cat was male or female.
    • Arizona Docent
      African golden cat, African golden cat, African golden cat!!!!!!!
    • TeaLovingDave
      Yep, definitely envious! :p
    • vogelcommando
      You wanna make us jealous ;) ? In that case : you succeeded !
      ( very nice picture gentle lemur ! )
    • devilfish
      I'm jealous too! An amazing shot!
    • gentle lemur
      The IZYB list of Rare Animals for 1974 says that this animal was a male.

Alan
    • AWP
      The (current) Small Mammal House opened in 1977, so I guess it was kept at the "Vossegang", the old enclosures for small mammals at the location of the current Pampa. Very nice photo though!
      JurassicMax likes this.
    • gentle lemur
      @AWP Yes, I have checked the label on my original slide. The Small Mammal House was number 46 on the 1973/4 zoo map, just to the east of the flamingos.
      AWP likes this.
    • AWP
      Do you know which other species were kept in that building in 1974? I have an old map (probably dating the 1960's) that only mentions "raccoons, jackals, other small carnivores".
    • gentle lemur
      @AWP My map says 'Raccoons, jackals, rodents, small cats, foxes, lemurs'. IZYB mentions births for black-backed jackals and common raccoons plus ring-tailed and mongoose lemurs, but I don't remember them. The only species that I remember is a palm squirrel (IZYB says Funambulus palmarum) and I think that I have a photo in my files, if I can find it I can confirm the location. I will also try to find my notes from my visits in 1973 and 1974, but they are only brief, so they may not provide any further information.
      AWP likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Artis Royal Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    gentle lemur
    Date:
    6 Jun 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    115.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    566px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).