Join our zoo community
blospz

African Journey Giraffe Yard - June 2009

I have never seen high mesh fencing like this for a giraffe exhibit. It's an eyesore in my opinion.

African Journey Giraffe Yard - June 2009
blospz, 20 Jun 2019
    • Andrew_NZP
      Well that's just plain ugly.
    • blospz
      I am hoping the x's will be eliminated soon and they are just there for now as a visual for the giraffes about the new fencing.
    • snowleopard
    • jayjds2
      Sure, it’s more than enough to keep the giraffes in. But perhaps they are also trying to keep visitors out?
    • NAIB Volunteer
      The Xs are present as a visual barrier until the herd knows the boundaries and limits of the harder to see fencing. It's high, not for the giraffe's sake, but for the visitors so if anyone hops the visitor barrier they won't be able to feed the giraffes. Additionally the previous barriers we're terrible and believe it or not, Anuli, one of the younger giraffes at the time, was able to get under the barrier. I personally don't think it's an eye sore and definitely has more to do with safety. Ideally, keepers would like to give the animals access overnight, so eliminating any potential obstacle or way to escape was important.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
    Uploaded By:
    blospz
    Date:
    20 Jun 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    6.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4608px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX P900
    Date / Time:
    2019:06:19 17:36:31
    Exposure Time:
    10/8000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).