Join our zoo community
GregOz

African manatee - Trichechus senegalensis

African manatee - Trichechus senegalensis
GregOz, 8 Sep 2022
    • ralph
      Cool!

How bad(/good) would you say Safari World is?
      I'll be in Bangkok later this month, and I'd love to see African manatees, but I'm not sure if this zoo is for me.
    • Ned
      @ralph did you visit this place or any others while in Bangkok?
    • ralph
      @Ned No I didn't. I decided to fully focus on wildlife and skipped all the captive animal collections.

I don't think I missed much by not going to Safari World, except for the African manatees.
      Ned likes this.
    • Ned
      @ralph thanks. It doesn't really appeal to me either but I am intending to visit the snake farm while in Bangkok.
    • ralph
      @Ned if you like snakes, I can recommend doing a night walk with a tour guide while in Bangkok.

I saw a tentacled snake, a puff-faced water snake, a paradise flying snake, a whip snake, and a few white-lipped pitvipers, as well as box turtle, garden lizard, snakehead (fish), 2 frog species and bats.
      You also have a chance as spotting reticulated pythons, although we didn't (but we did see one earlier that day so that wasn't a big deal)

Of course, since this takes place during the evening, you could easily combine it with other activities!

I can also recommend an early morning visit to Rot Fai Park for wildlife of the feathered variety. Saw 29 bird species there like koels, coucals, rollers, owls and bee-eaters (as well as many squirrels and a few tree shrews, and the inevitable water monitors.) This is also we were saw the python. My eBird list; https://ebird.org/checklist/S154786763

I also did a day tour from Bangkok to go whale-watching in the Gulf. Not many people are aware this is a possibility, so you might want to look into this as well. (We saw Edens whales, but you could also spot finless porpoise, irrawaddy dolphin or Indo-Chinese humpback dolphin)
      Ned likes this.
    • Ned
      @ralph thanks for the information. I have booked a night herping tour with Tontan tours. It sounds a bit dodgy, searching around the suburbs for snakes while being pestered by stray dogs by the sounds of it, but if I see a few snakes I'll be happy.
      The botanical garden looked like it might be good for birds as well. I've looked that up on ebird but will also look through your list.
      I didn't know about the whale watching, but I shall check it out.
      Thanks again.
    • Chlidonias
      @Ned you might be interested in having a look at Nick Upton's Thai birding site - Thailand Bird Watching Locations Map

It's not up to date (eg for transport options to sites, etc), but you can find lots of bird sites all around the country. Bangkok is in section 3 Central Thailand.
      Ned likes this.
    • Ned
      @Chlidonias thanks very much for the link, it looks a very useful site.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Safari World
    Uploaded By:
    GregOz
    Date:
    8 Sep 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    20.3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    7500px
    Height:
    5000px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    ILCE-7C
    Date / Time:
    2022:08:27 11:02:56
    Exposure Time:
    1/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 12800
    Focal Length:
    246.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).