Join our zoo community
RockTheThought

African Tree Pangolin

August 2014

African Tree Pangolin
RockTheThought, 24 May 2015
aramacao likes this.
    • Coelacanth18
      Perhaps the beginning of a captive breeding program for pangolins? Does anybody know where/how San Diego acquired this/these animal(s)?
    • Chlidonias
      it is a smuggled animal re-homed at the zoo in about 2005. There was a pair at the zoo (I think the only survivors out of a group which was seized?), but the female died in July 2011.
    • Shellheart
      Perhaps if Pangolins reproduced asexually :p We only have the one.
    • Coelacanth18
      That's unfortunate. I knew SDZ had one or two that they used for educational purposes, but I thought they were a more recent arrival than that. Oh well.
    • RockTheThought
      You're correct Chlidonias, the two Pangolins that the zoo obtained were the only survivors from the group that was seized. During the presentation in which I viewed this Pangolin, named "Baba," I asked if there are any future plans to potentially bring more Pangolins to the zoo and possibly begin a breeding program. Unfortunately, it did not sound as if those were the plans right now, but with the success that they have had with Baba I would not be surprised if San Diego eventually goes this route if/when the opportunity presents itself.

As a side note, though their female Pangolin passed away in 2011, I recall the presenter stating that the two lived separately for some time in order to more accurately keep track of things such as appetite and activity. I don't think breeding was ever a priority with the pair, but the zoo does now seem to have a (relatively) strong grasp on their husbandry needs at this point.
    • zankara
      At the presentation I saw on Friday the keeper mentioned that the higher ups had finally agreed to consider starting a breeding program. Apparently he has been asking them for ages but they were hesitant as they didn't expect Baba to live this long.
    • Coelacanth18
      Pangolins are disappearing fast in the wild. Ex situ conservation could significantly help their chances of avoiding extinction. The main issues right now are acquiring founder individuals and lack of knowledge about husbandry and breeding. Maybe San Diego will eventually take the initiative on these problems?
    • RockTheThought
      That's great to hear Zankara--when I went last August, it sounded like they were not at the point where they gave too much credence to the idea. Glad to know that they might begin to get the ball rolling!

Couldn't agree more Coelacanth! My hopes are that after having somewhat familiarized themselves with Pangolin husbandry, they can be the facility that acts as a trailblazer for their conservation. Though it will likely be a slow-moving process, I am optimistic that a breeding program can be established.

In addition to the breeding program, I also feel that education is integral to their survival as well. If I had a dollar for every time I had to explain what a pangolin is, I would be quite a wealthy man! Getting exposure for these amazing creatures and the challenges that they face could foster the proper respect and love that they deserve and need.
    • Chlidonias
      despite what the presenter told you, the zoo was definitely trying to breed the pair. There are multiple sources on the internet which confirm this. For example, this one from 2009 which is from the San Diego Zoo's own blog:
      Pangolins: A Tough Exterior, Delicate Species
      I believe the male and female both became sick at the same time in 2011: the female died and the male recovered.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Diego Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    RockTheThought
    Date:
    24 May 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count: