Join our zoo community
Swanson02

African Wild Dog

African Wild Dog
Swanson02, 30 Nov 2022
Zoofan15, Gil, SivatheriumGuy and 2 others like this.
    • Zoofan15
      Great photo! How big is their current pack?
      Swanson02 likes this.
    • Swanson02
      @Zoofan15 I believe their current pack is comprised of a mated pair (1.1) and their 6 offspring. which I believe are split 4.2, so 5.3 to make 8 all up.

I know one of the male members is missing a leg, so is quite recognizable bouncing around on only 3. I was told he broke it and instead of putting a cast on him, Monarto decided to perform a quick amputation. This was because the cast would have been chewed/ruined by other members of the pack thus requiring Monarto to isolate him, however isolating a pack member for too long will result in their rejection upon return. especially for him since he was the lowest-ranked member.

Apparently, it worked out well for him as he now eats with his parents as Wild Dogs to an extent prioritize, feeding the sick and elderly (which they must consider him now to be).
      Zoofan15 likes this.
    • Zoofan15
      @Swanson02 Thanks for that info, that’s really interesting. I agree that was the best course of action as even separating dogs for a day can be risky and dogs have been killed in a reintroduction context at other zoos.

I did some research and the parents are Baraka and Bulu. They had a litter of eight (five surviving) in April 2021. They’re named Liyana, Sanaa, Masikio, Ajani and Amani. The eighth dog you saw must have been Onika (Baraka’s brother) as I also came across this: Onika the Painted Dog: Pack takes a stand for three-legged mate - Monarto Safari Park There was also a ninth dog named Penda (sister of Bulu), but I’d assume she’s passed if you only saw the pack of eight you describe. She’s be quite old by now.
    • Rosheen.1
      Great answer @Zoofan15 ….Hi to answer the above question how big is their pack current 2023 two adult females (sisters) (born at the safari park 7 years ago ) two adult males (brothers born perth zoo 6 years ago ) including Onika (three legs which does not slow him down) and 5 sub adults/adults (litter mates over two years old born at the safari park) . 9 in total so far
      Jambo and Zoofan15 like this.
    • Rosheen.1
      Zoofan15 likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Monarto Safari Park
    Uploaded By:
    Swanson02
    Date:
    30 Nov 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/2.0
    Make:
    samsung
    Model:
    SM-G986B
    Date / Time:
    2022:11:30 12:34:19
    Exposure Time:
    1/514 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 50
    Focal Length:
    5.9 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).