Join our zoo community
KevinB

Alaskan sea otter or Northern sea otter (Enhydra lutris kenyoni), 2009-01-25

Antwerp's last sea otter, a male named Chuluugi, died in the spring of 2010 during a breeding trip to Rotterdam. Shortly thereafter Lisboa became the only European zoo with sea otters for a while, until Den Blå Planet Aquarium (Denmark), Brest Océanopolis (France) and SeaLife Birmingham got them.

Alaskan sea otter or Northern sea otter (Enhydra lutris kenyoni), 2009-01-25
KevinB, 4 Feb 2021
    • KevinB
      The sea otters at Antwerp were housed in the exhibit outside Vriesland (the penguin house). That exhibit now houses two harbor seals split off from the main group currently living nearby, in the former pelican exhibit.
    • Terry Thomas
      Nice portrait shot.
      KevinB likes this.
    • AWP
      Chuluugi ("Dancing with the Sea Gulls") was the orphan otter that came to Blijdorp Rotterdam in 1995. I remember seeing him at several locations in the zoo: first in the former giraffe stables, later in the hippo wing of the Rivièrahal and finally in the northeast Pacific section of the Oceanium. So it moved to Antwerpen later on and then back to Rotterdam?
      KevinB likes this.
    • KevinB
      @AWP I don't know the exact travels of Chuluugi. If my memory is not mistaken Antwerp originally had another male, later replaced by Chuluugi. I'm not sure if he ever moved anywhere else than Antwerp or Rotterdam (but that seems relatively unlikely).

Chuluugi returned to Rotterdam a few times for breeding attempts with the two females (Micas and Maree) Rotterdam had at the time. It was during one such breeding trip in 2010 that he unexpectedly died.
      AWP likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOO Antwerpen
    Uploaded By:
    KevinB
    Date:
    4 Feb 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    982px
    Aperture:
    f/5.2
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-500
    Date / Time:
    2009:01:25 11:49:06
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    226 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).