Join our zoo community
Impalafrank

Alligator Adventure

Alligator Adventure
Impalafrank, 2 Feb 2013
    • Arizona Docent
      Hard to make out the small print, but it looks like it says he came from a croc farm in Thailand. I think I saw somewhere that they are hybrids of two different crocodile species (if it is the farm I am thinking of). Can anyone confirm this?
    • devilfish
      The sign mentions the Samutprakarn crocodile farm, and that Utan is indeed a hybrid. :)
    • Impalafrank
      From Alligator Adventure's website : The unveiling of Utan (OO’-tan) on June 27th 2002, marked the end of a near three year journey by Dr. Sam Seashole, director of veterinary medicine at Alligator Adventure. To find this “Ambassador of Thailand”, he traveled to Samut Prakan crocodile farm, about 12 miles outside of Bangkok, Thailand and the rest as they say is history. Utan, which was named after the farm owner’s son, Uten Young Prapakarn, was and still is considered the largest crocodile on exhibit in the United States. Utan is a hybrid breed between a salt water and siamese crocodile. He was born in 1964, weighs in at 2000 lbs and is just over 18 ft in length. Utan lives in a 5000 sq. ft exhibit with a luxury pool that contains over 30,000 gallons of fresh water. Utan truly is the “King of Crocs .
    • Arizona Docent
      Thanks for the updates. What state is Alligator Adventure in? (Not that I plan to go there, just curious).
    • Impalafrank
      Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    • Maguari
      Terrible.

[/bad joke]

;)
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      Did this place have fox enclosures? I am curious, as Alligator Adventure sent 2 Gray Foxes to Beardsley in June 2012. I think we might have sent them 2 American Alligators as well.
    • Impalafrank
      I don't remember seeing any foxes.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Alligator Adventure
    Uploaded By:
    Impalafrank
    Date:
    2 Feb 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    350.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.7
    Make:
    EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Model:
    KODAK EASYSHARE C913 DIGITAL CAMERA
    Date / Time:
    2008:01:04 05:55:44
    Exposure Time:
    12500/1000000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).