Join our zoo community
geomorph

Amazon and Beyond - Atlantic Forest - Bat Exhibit

Amazon and Beyond - Atlantic Forest - Bat Exhibit
geomorph, 13 Dec 2009
    • mstickmanp
      I wonder if the bats actually use the tube tunnels.
    • Animal
      To where do they lead?
    • snowleopard
      There is a similar enclosure to the left of this photo, and the two exhibits have a pair of linking tubes that go over the heads of visitors. In theory the bats can fly back and forth between the two areas, but I'm curious as to how often the tubes are used.
    • geomorph
      I was unclear in my description on this one. The sign above the exhibit is removed, and I could just barely see what looked like a prehensile-tailed porcupine inside. I did not see any bats flying back and forth, so perhaps these two exhibits are not a success. There were certainly bats on the exhibit on the other side though.
    • Maguari
      Interesting idea, anyway. What species are the bats?
    • geomorph
      They were labeled as neotropical fruit bats, but I did not see any specific species listed...there are about 20 choices!
    • Maguari
      Thanks. One of my pet hates - any zoo that doesn't give scientific names for its animals gets an instant mark-down!

EDIT: Had a quick ISIS moment - Metrozoo are listed as having 50 Pale Spear-nosed Bats, Phyllostomus discolor. May well be these.
    • geomorph
      This is certainly the exception to the rule at this zoo...lots of accurate signage, and in this exhibit complex most of the signs are in Spanish too!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Miami
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    13 Dec 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: