Join our zoo community
Zooish

Amazon Flooded Forest

Jeremy Wade (in blue wetsuit) from the River Monsters tv show feeding the manatees and arapaimas as part of the show's Asia promotional tour. This tank houses the following species: West Indian Manatees, Arapaima, Black Pacu, Red-tailed Catfish, Tiger Shovelnose Catfish, Ripsaw Catfish, Redfin Prochilodus, Black-barred Myleus, Silver Dollar and Eartheaters.

Amazon Flooded Forest
    • Zooish
      Jeremy Wade (in blue wetsuit) from the River Monsters tv show feeding the manatees and arapaimas as part of the show\'s Asia promotional tour.

This tank houses the following species: West Indian Manatees, Arapaima, Black Pacu, Red-tailed Catfish, Tiger Shovelnose Catfish, Ripsaw Catfish, Redfin Prochilodus, Black-barred Myleus, Silver Dollar and Eartheaters.
    • uszoo
      I have always loved this tank. It looks huge for the manatees and the other fish. It is so large that it feels empty. How tall is this tank?
    • threeple61
      What is in the zoo's manatee tank?
    • Zooish
      @uszoo: It's about 16.5 feet at the deepest point (nearer to the glass).

@threeple61: The old manatee pool at the zoo has been repurposed for Californian sealions.
    • PAT
      So I visited the river safari yesterday and got to this tank just in time for the feeding session. It's spectacular. I thought it'd be one of those things that looks smaller in real life but, if anything, it was bigger than I expected.
      Does anyone know how many manatees live here? I counted 8 or 9 (it's hard to tell when they're always moving and the fish are swimming in and out of the way).
    • Zooish
      11 manatees at last count.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    River Wonders
    Uploaded By:
    Zooish
    Date:
    25 May 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: