Join our zoo community
Mr.Weasel

American Crocodile at Gatorland

An American crocodile in an enclosure shared by American alligators at Gatorland on September 5, 2014.

American Crocodile at Gatorland
Mr.Weasel, 19 Sep 2014
    • Mr.Weasel
      An American crocodile in an enclosure shared by American alligators at Gatorland on September 5, 2014.
    • Kifaru Bwana
      I would favor a separate exclosure and basin for American crocodile Crocodylus acutus.
      In the current times the wild status of the American crocodile reserves more attention.

How large is the US/AZA American crocodile population (assuming all or the majority of these are Floridan/US in origins. There is a difference with Meso-American (Mexico, Costa Rica and others), Caribbean (Jamaica and Hispaniola) and Cuban populations and the South American populations (Venezuela, Colombia and Peru).

NOTA BENE:
      The Florida population in 2005 was estimated at 1,400 - 2,000 individuals with 70-80 nests. This is an underestimate as the documented nesting was between 91-94 nests.
      SOURCE: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2007-03-20/pdf/E7-5037.pdf#page=1

More recently FWS has commissioned a monitoring program in 2018 after croc researchers deemed that the population is once more declining.

SOURCE: https://ecos.fws.gov/tails/pub/document/8851053
    • Great Argus
      @Kifaru Bwana This thread lists only 14 holders - Crocodilians in American Zoos (there's an additional two holders after the catch up list). I'm sure there's probably some others out there. No clue on what the number of individuals looks like but I'm sure many of those places hold more than one.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Gatorland
    Uploaded By:
    Mr.Weasel
    Date:
    19 Sep 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    282.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-HX60V
    Date / Time:
    2014:09:05 19:04:08
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    23.67 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).